Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Alright, I'm not completely positive that this is the right thread, but I didn't see an upholstery thread.

I've got this lovely $120 chair that I've been sitting on for about 4 years, and it's lasted well until recently when the pleather started to crack and shred and generally fall right the gently caress apart.
Now, I'm a patient man, I'm good with tools and building stuff, etc and I've got a workshop that's very full, but I've done almost no sewing and never done any upholstery. Despite this, I AM NOT AFRAID.

Here is my chair.

You see the problems. The back, which seems quite complicated, is relatively okay, but the armrests and bottom are completely destroyed.

I figure I can get some heavy (10-12 oz?) sage or grey duck canvas (will this work?) and some replacement high density foam (right stuff?), then just pull the staples out.
Then, I'm sorta lost. How do I do this with bolsters, or just in general?

Throw down a layer or three of foam with spray adhesive, then fabric stretched over and stapled down I'm guessing, but how do I work in the bolsters?

e:
Will this work?

Lose string (red) in a little pocket to hold the center down to the chair, extra fabric on all sides to staple the whole thing down?

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I have a question because I haven't sewed anything other than drawstring bags when I was a kid.

If I took a pair of Carhartt bibs in to hem/shorten the leg an inch or so, is it possible to shorten a zipper and not cause problems? They're zippered legs with a snap on the bottom to keep the flap shut, ideally I'd like to have them shortened, the zipper shortened and a new snap pressed in.

Worth going to the alteration shop or just live with my bibs always dragging in the mud?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've got a Viking Emerald and coming from very occasionally using my moms old Singer 401A, it's ridiculous how strong it is. Doesn't really have the same stitch quality, but it's been pretty great as an all-around machine. I just successfully adjusted the fingers on a few pairs of leather work gloves last week, as an example.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

I use a singer 401A and I go through layers of leather and heavy canvas for my work clothes and welding apron all the time. Unless I'm misreading and your post? My Singer has never left me wanting for power
It's always just loved to break needles and stall. I admittedly haven't used it in a long time, but my parents have brought it in to have it serviced a few times over the years and it's still not terribly powerful.
She might also be using awful, awful needles or missing a user-alignment step or something.
My sewing history is doing things as a kid, occasional clothes-fixing over the in-between ~25 years and now getting my own machine this past year, so I haven't actually touched her Singer since really spending time sewing for real.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Got a sewing machine last april-ish because I'm (very slowly) building a couch from scratch and I needed to learn to sew boxed cushions. I still haven't finished the couch, but I have been fixing all of my ridiculously expensive and extremely ragged work clothes (which are the only kind of clothes I even own anymore). Discovered that machine darning pants is easy and shockingly strong. Also means my ~$380 sewing machine has essentially paid for itself already.
I just fixed the cuffs on my Arborwear double thick hoodie which feels like actual sewing for once, and was scary despite turning out to be a piece of cake.

I have gigantic hands and the original cuffs have pretty minimal stretch. I used good quality tubular knit rib and it's crazy stretchy and I can actually get the hoodie off without turning the sleeves inside out now. I made them longer which I love too.

More people should know how cool sewing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've been doing more MYOG gear sorts of things lately and really really hating my Husqvarna viking. Feeds badly, has too many things I don't use, too many things get caught in silly places. Just generally annoying with thick or slippery/sticky coated fabrics. It's also never really sewn great in general regardless of tension settings.
I decided I don't care too much about zig zag and related stitches. I don't have the space for an old used industrial walking foot (though that's what I want), so I was torn between a Sailrite machine or a Juki TL.

Welp,

Jesus christ it's amazing. Not having wide feet and a giant hole in the plate is amazing. Eventually I want to get into some garment stuff, and I think I'll just pick up a ~$250 serger and ignore the existence of zig zag sewing machines forevermore. I'm sure I'll feel the limitations eventually, but I don't ever want to straight stitch on anything other than a straight stitch machine.

Also auto up/down and thread cutting is amazing.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 17, 2024