Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Welp, I got a sewing machine. A big beast of a machine that weighs about a million pounds. The good news is that it was free and I was able to figure out most of the bells and whistles without the instruction manual. I managed to find one online, but the model isn't quite right so not everything matches up. Mine is a Sears Kenmore model #148.12190, if that helps. It does exciting zigzags and such.

The bad news is that I can't figure out how to change the length of the straight stitches. Theoretically, there is a knob that does it for me. It starts at "B" then ranges from 8 to 24 then "-" and "." which is super mysterious since they all do the same tiny stitch. It might have to do with the button in the center of the knob, which seems sort of stuck and changes depth when the knob is turned. It seems to come further out when the knob is turned to "." but it looks like it should be out a bit more.

Any insights or suggestions? I think it might have some crap in there from storage, would using canned-air or a little WD40 be a horrible idea? The machine is still good enough to do most of what I need, but it would be super awesome if I can get it to do longer stitches.

Here is the beast

Click here for the full 800x558 image.

And the weird knob/button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

Pickle Pie posted:

And the weird knob/button

So apparently this button is stuck, because according to every other machine ever, my machine is stitching backwards. Do you not have control over stitch length when it is going in reverse? If so, hopefully I can just unstick the button and be all set.

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

I am trying to find a decent pattern for men's slippers but I am having very little luck. I found one that I definitely would use, but apparently it was discontinued and I can't find a place that actually sells it. I found a craftstylish.com tutorial that uses the pattern, but all the seller links are dead and I am not crafty enough to whip up a pattern from pictures alone.

Do any of you know how I can get my hands on a copy of the "Homespun Slipper pattern from Favorite Things" pattern? Or can you recommend a pattern that is similar to the pointed out pair?

edit:
I just realized that the cutting board in the background of the tutorial is the exact same as one my boyfriend has, so I can sort of figure out the dimensions of the different pieces. I am still open to purchasing a similar pattern, but for now I am going to attempt to recreate it. Wish me luck!

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 4, 2011

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

For the last year or so, I have been using this thing for all of my sewing projects.

It has been interesting, to say the least. At one point I got an old beast machine, I think I posted in here a million years ago about it, but the thing would only run in reverse and the bobbin winder was shot as well. So that has sat in the corner while I debate what to do with it. Any suggestions? I feel bad hoisting it on Goodwill or someone because it doesn't work, is there a no-kill shelter for sewing machines? :ohdear:

My main reason for posting is that after complaining about my little gimpy dressmaker, my hairstylist offered up her grandmother's old machine. She doesn't sew at all, so the thing sat in a barn forever before getting put in the trunk of her car for a failed attempt to sell it at a family yardsale. Basically an old machine has fallen into my lap and I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the brand/model or knows some good resources.

It's a Morse Super Dial, I am not sure how old. It looks just like the picture below, but not nearly as clean yet. I am a beginner, but after oiling it seems to be in good working order besides a missing lightbulb. Any idea what kind of bulb to get for it and where to find one? It says that the lighting unit is made by GE, if that helps. Any information is appreciated.

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 28, 2012

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

Wow thank you so much! I am getting ready to leave on a big vacation so I haven't had a lot of time for the machine, especially since I just got it last night. My brief searching only found places that sold copies of the manual for :10bux:. This is super helpful, although I already broke the rule by using generic sewing machine oil :v: at least I hit all the right places according to the diagram. When we get back from vacation I'll have to pretty it up and post pictures.

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

I just made this lil cutie on my gifted Morse Super Dial! :3:

It is made from zipper and ribbon, so it makes a little coin purse when zipped up and can be unzipped into a strip. You can clearly see where it got a little goofy, a few crooked spots and jumps. It was a lot of fun learning a new weird project while trying out my vintage machine for the first proper time. I am going to give it to my hairstylist as a thank you gift, since she was the one who gave me a free awesome machine.

I haven't given it a good cleaning to make it sparkle, yet. Any idea how to best clean the case/platform thing? It is sort of a weird material and I don't want to ruin it. It's sort of like a strange fabric paper wrapped around wood or some other base material. It is super dusty and dry wiping it isn't doing much good. I heard somewhere that car cleaning supplies are good for the actual painted metal of the machine, is that right or bunk? I want this old lady to look her best.

One more dumb question. Could someone tell me what these guys are for? They were in with the machine and I am a stupid newbie.

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Zipper foot and seam guide. :)

So cute! I love that little purse! I'm curious about that fabric/paper thing. Pics?

Thank you! And poo poo, I should have asked earlier! That purse might have turned out nicer if I had used the proper foot instead of trying to finagle it with the regular one. :saddowns:

You can see on the second picture the way that the surface is sort of wrapped and folded over at the corner. That icky dust is sort of stuck in there.

e- Now that the initial embarrassment is clearing, I put the zipper foot on and hoo boy I am excited to try it out! It looks like a crazy tongue fitted on there. I will probably make another little coin purse thing to test it out. :dance:

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 20, 2012

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

When I pick up more ribbon and zippers, I'll look at what they have along those lines. The compressed air will have to wait until after I scoop out all of the abandoned, rusty pins that I found in the bottom :zombie:

I swear the cubby under old machines always looks like some kind of crafty crack den.

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

Does anyone have experience making a sofa slipcover? Our loveseat is an awful pattern but the size and shape doesn't play nice with any of the commercially available covers. My new sewing tank, recent project successes, and flattering fiance are all convincing me that it is worth trying to make my own and I have found a few nice tutorials. If there are any tips/tricks/warnings, I would appreciate the input. Otherwise, I will keep you all posted of my foolhardy undertaking. I am planning on making a muslin pattern soon.

On a related note, I discovered that my mom used over 5 yards of muslin as packing material for a box that she sent me a long while back. I have no idea why she picked that as padding, but it certainly gives me a good start for my pattern making. :iia:

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

gently caress sleevesDoes anyone have a link to a good sleeve tutorial? Attaching these things without making it look like I'm a renfaire princess~ is too much of a challenge for me to take on alone.
:negative:

e- I found one that was super helpful. One sleeve down! Now I just need to do the other and finish up the hem.

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 17, 2012

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

Can anyone recommend some good online resources for someone interested it making a first quilt? I'm comfortable sewing clothing and little projects like purses and catbeds, but I'd like some guidance before I tackle a project this big. My ultimate goal, which I'm sure will take a lot of smaller tries first, is to make a queen sized string quilt. I'm not really interested in making squares, unless that is a required learning foundation kind of thing. Guidance on fabric choice would be great too.

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

zamiel posted:

I think it's the bending over because now that I think of it, I do remember a couple years ago making my ex one of those tie blankets and even on the floor I was spasming. That was sitting and bending over w/ the legs crossed, so gunna have to try some kneepads and a different position to see if that helps. Cats are gunna think I'm insane :) Thanks for all the suggestions!

It'll sound dumb and awkward, but if my back is bothering me it sometimes helps for me to kneel in front of my work table, so I am straight from the hips up. Stick a folded blanket or pillow under your knees to keep them from getting sore. No bending, but nice and close to the work. You need the right table:torso height for that though.

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

Anyone make their own swimsuits?

I have an irrational compulsion to have a one piece, but I have a freakishly long torso and I'm just not digging the long-torsoed options out there. It would be magical to have one that was actually comfortable and didn't feel like it was trying to slice me in half right up the middle. I've got a decent machine, but I haven't sewn spandex or really any stretch before. Tips and such much appreciated.

Totally unrelated pictures, but here is this thing I did! Apologies if I've bragged about it before, I can't remember the last time I posted and am too lazy to check. Basically the laziest excuse for a quilt ever, but I love it anyway. It's supposed to be like a tree with a heart carved in it, the back is a ridiculous awesome floral bonanza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 14, 2007

Goldaline posted:

That quilt looks mega cozy!

I've made swim bottoms for myself, pus a the weird spandexy singlet things you can see earlier in this thread. A serger really helps if you can get access to one, but you can do it with a regular machine too. See if it has a stretch stitch, but if not, zigzag will work ok too. Make sure you set the presserfoot to the lightest pressure or it'll drag the layers around. Don't try to cut multiple layers of spandex at once, it slides and curls like a mother. wawak.com is the cheapest place I've found for notions like swim elastic. spandexhouse.com is my favorite/cheapest for fabric, I know the site is janky-their cart system doesn't even take your payment info, they call you to get it-but I've never had any problems.

I think Jalie makes lots of sewing patterns for swimwear. But I'll always recommend just taking an old suit apart and altering as you need.

Found the swim bottoms-I think I actually used a boxer brief tracing for them? I didn't make the rash guards though.

I haven't been posting here lately because I've been distracted with drawing and knitting. But I'm sure I'll swing back to sewing at some point. Sonetimes you have to change up your focus.

Awesome, thanks for all the info!! I don't have a serger, but my machine has an overlocking foot and a ton of stitch settings that I have barely scratched the surface of. Pretty sure there are some good stretch options. Time to bust out the manual.

e- holy poo poo that is a lot of spandex. How am I supposed to choose between fish scales or popcorn or frenchfries or ughhhhhh

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 22, 2016