Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

I want to make my boyfriend a metroid-themed hoodie or shirt for Christmas.

Put a metroid on the hood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hana Dammit posted:

I finally finished this horribly cute bear hoodie for a friend. He works at a recycled home improvement store and so this wonderfully dusty fur's origins will forever remain a mystery, which given the texture and wear of the fabric, was not any time remotely recent. I lined it (for his own protection.... the wrong side of the fur was gnarls) with a red courderoy table cloth, also recycled. It broke 12 needles and may have given me a sinus infection, but here you have the bear hoodie

This particular friend happens to live in a cabin without running water in the middle of the woods, and so I anticipate feeling at least partially responsible when he is accidentally shot while biking past his neighbor's house.

WOW, that is amazing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ok, first real project besides pillows, got my 347 all oiled up and pedal fixed. I got a jacket at the Targ for this price:

And I'm replacing (half of) the bland liner with something a little more exciting, here it is halfway done:

Any recommendations for how else to spruce up this jacket? The buttons are going for sure and I've got lots of star fabric and crimson thread.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 19, 2015

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Eponine posted:

Can you post a picture of the outside of the jacket?

It's v basic:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

If I've sewn fur with a white backing to a coat collar, what's the best way to color the edges of the backing black to match the coat?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So how would I go about doing this: I have some satin in a cool (giraffe) print and I have a donor jacket. The jacket is only a nylon shell with lining, so I'd like to keep the nylon in place to keep the jacket warm. I have a basic but reliable standard sewing machine (Singer 347) and am a sewing rookie. What I'm trying to do is leave the original sleeves and sew the satin onto the torso pieces of the jacket. Any suggestions?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

If I do seam rip it all up, would I be able to put it back together with just the machine I have on hand? And yes I want to layer the satin over the nylon. Also, I don't mind accidentally destroying the jacket. It was three bucks and I have a ton of the satin.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Goldaline posted:

In theory, yes, in practice, maybe?? If you nick it while seam ripping it, as I always do, it's pretty much over.

If I had to try this I'd probably:

-Rip the sleeves off
-Rip up the side seam so I could lay the piece flat.
-Use tracing paper to trace out the back and two fronts, then cut out of satin, adding seam allowances.
-Stitch the shoulder seams on your new pieces
-Attach them at center front (this may take some finagling if there's a zip or something.) and I guess around the neck? Is there a collar?
-Sew up the side seams with all four layers held together
-Pop the sleeves back on.
-Hem the bottom

But really, I'd probably just trace out the jacket pieces and make a new one out of satin at that point. It's definitely going to look sort of messy putting it over top. Which is okay if you're going for sort of a punk aesthetic I suppose.

I'm big into finding thrift store items with interesting patterns or good fits and tearing them apart to make my own.

Oh geez, this is a hugely informative post thanks! I plan on tracing the pieces I hack off so I can make a new one if need be. I could even salvage the sleeves from this jacket and Frankenstein them onto a handmade one, right? The main reason I want to try this method is to preserve the collar, pockets, zipper and hem, which I can't readily replicate.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The McCalls are two bucks, but still I got two hundo of patterns for fourteen bucks.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I think you should source all of your material from thrift shops, which would let you:
-Immediately be able to present the bag as recycled, without including some sort of tag or explanation
-give you the opportunity to practice with a bunch of different materials
-save a bunch of money
-support a local charity maybe
-be an even greener option than having material shipped to you

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You can harvest a lot of elastic out of bungee cords or grommet them and use laces

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

effika posted:

Gave it some canned air and didn't see great improvement, but it did sound a little better.

I think I finally got it working. For some reason when I thread the bobbin thread if I follow the illustration on the lid it doesn't work, but if I get the thread going further along the little groove it seems to do ok? I got a decent line of stitches out of it at least.

Please do make the bobbin video! I never get the bobbin thread pulled up right on the first try and seeing it happen would be very helpful.

How’s your thread tension? I know I’ve had plenty of bird’s nest nightmares from loose bobbin tension, esp w heavier fabrics like it looks like you have going on

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

How complex is your design (including number of colors) and how perfect do you need it to come out? You can DIY with screen printing ink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stewart did not study dance at Carnegie Mellon so become a flight attendant to clean bathrooms!

Wesleyan is the Harvard of central Connecticut!

Yale is the Harvard of central Connecticut