Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I just sewed my first ever anything.

It's part of my Halloween costume, which I did from instructions here. It makes me look smaller and rounder than I already am (as does the angle, taken by someone a foot taller than me) but since I'm supposed to be a fairy, I think that's all right.

Also, dyeing elastic bands is an absolute bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007

I found a couple of easy Simplicity patterns on sale and decided to get bold. Today I tried my hand at a cardigan:

It took me five hours, several instances of having to rip the seams and start over (including one sleeve sewed on inside-out) but I feel very slightly better about my ability to read and follow a pattern now. Plus it's comfy as hell, I used a nice medium-weight jersey fabric I found on sale yesterday.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007

HodjasBitch and A.s.P. - Thank you! I wore it to work yesterday and got a few compliments. It's pretty much fueling my desire to see what else I can do now.

NancyPants - I use a regular machine. The instructions said to use a "narrow zigzag stitch" and after a few tries on some of the scraps, I found a setting that seemed to work pretty well. The hardest part for me was the elastic in the stretchy neck bit on the back where it gathers and drapes. I had to undo and redo that three times, and I'm fairly sure that's where I sliced my finger open in retrospect.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007

I showed my in-laws the cardigan I made, it turns out that they've been trying to get rid of some old sewing stuff from my husband's grandmother, and I now have a Baby Lock serger, accessories, and instructions!

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007

I've got a question that may or may not be better suited here than for the cosplay thread. I'm making a kirtle for a costume (Oddleif from The Banner Saga, for the curious) and using the women's kirtle here as a pattern.

Once I have the sleeves and gores sewed on, I need to stitch the last bit of open side together. However my sewing machine tends to clump up the stitches where all the seams gather since it's too thick. Am I going to be stuck hand-stitching that part? Should I adjust tension for that and try again, then readjust when it's back to just two layers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007

Awesome, thanks. I'll check out the local fabric store for a walking foot.