Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lanochediablo
Jul 5, 2007

baptism of fiber posted:

Does anyone know if enzyme washing can be done at home? A while back I visited a clothing store that bought up tacky t-shirts from thrift stores and washed them in some enzyme that made them super soft and thin. I'd like to try this process on some surplus clothing with the goal of 1) fading the camoflage pattern somewhat, 2) making the material feel softer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This. I've wanted to do this forever to some shirts and jeans. I remember seeing a DIY denim fishing kit by Denim Design Lab (http://www.denimdesignlab.com/product/finishing-kits/mechanic/) which has a bottle of enzyme solution in it for :monocle: $300. There's got to be a cheaper way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lanochediablo
Jul 5, 2007

RedFish posted:

Thanks for the replies, good to know. I've since gone quilt fabric groping, and I see what you mean.

New question: has anyone every worked with bamboo fabric? I'm tempted, but have no idea how it handles, even if it's safe to press, although I'm assuming since it is a natural fiber it would be.

I haven't actually worked with bamboo fabric yet but from what I've heard, it has a tendency to lose its shape. I have a set of bed sheets that haven't had that problem, but maybe its because they aren't exposed to excessive wear like a shirt or bag would be.