Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey, hoping y'all can help! I'm looking for a black dye that's non-toxic, and completely water-fast. I'll probably use it on jute, or some other type of natural cloth. It needs to withstand high temperatures (up to 70C) under constant submersion without bleeding. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nice work! I love the result.

You want to call or write Dharma Trading, http://www.dharmatrading.com phone 800-542-5227 "anywhere in the U.S. or Canada M-F 8am to 5pm PST". They started out as a hippy-dippy business in Berkeley, and while still being that are the most knowledgeable retail dye suppliers in the U.S. Tell them your requirements, and they'll know what fits the bill. I will say that dye mordants (the things that keep dye from running) are generally toxic to one degree or another; do you mean that the fabric's non-toxic after it's through, or that you can raise fish in the cooled water?
Thanks; will send them an email.

I'm using this as a wick for a solar still, so needs to be and stay black, and not contaminate the brine with black dye, which will be continuously recycled via a pump. I'm currently using pre-dyed burlap that bleeds all over.