Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophet 60091
Sep 28, 2007

The lucky person wins a free plate of their choice.

seriouslywtf posted:

This isn't all that exciting, but I put a zipper into an (originally) zipperless hoodie from Threadless.

I just left the raw edges exposed, for no real reason except that I felt like it and didn't want to mess with the front design too much by folding them back.

I also just finished my first commercial dress pattern and although it's not perfect, I'm pretty proud of it. Pics later when I get a chance to actually take them.

Thanks, you inspired me. I had a pull-over hoodie I bought a year ago, but it was too tight and I never wore it (I never return clothing). So I added a zipper last night:

Not bad for a sewing dude, huh? Well ok it took a few nights. Except for a few frayed corners here and there, and sewing lines that aren't straight, it looks professional.

So speaking of guys sewing guy-clothes, I need more inspiration for stuff to make besides PJs. Has anyone sewn any good mens clothes? Unless I get distracted by something, I might try and replicate a utilikilt next.

Prophet 60091 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet 60091
Sep 28, 2007

trickybiscuits posted:

Burda has some good patterns for men- mostly medium level of difficulty, but they're a lot more stylish than men's patterns from the big three patternmakers (Butterick, Simplicity, McCalls). Of course the best way to learn how something is put together is to take it apart. When a pair of comfortable jeans wears out, take a seam ripper to it and save the pieces to use for a pattern- that's how I learned how to sew pants.

Good idea. I just borrowed a book from the library about making patterns from existing clothing. My first major project may be to make a shirt. Should be fun. :)

This brings up something odd I was wondering about when sewing jeans. What causes this rippling at the seams? Is there a way to replicate it if I created my own seam?

Prophet 60091
Sep 28, 2007

Juriko posted:

Isn't that just caused by the shrinking of the denim between the rows of stitching after the wash?

Ahh. Maybe I'll buy a half yard of denim and experiment.