Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bat Mouth
Jan 14, 2008
seizures like thunder in the brain

I love lurking in this thread and seeing the amazing things that goons are capable of whipping up. I sew by hand and I've long wanted a machine, but never had the money.

And today, in a pile of broken furniture on the sidewalk, I found a Singer 500A with its original sewing table. All the moving parts seem to be in order except for one piece. The small metal arm on the front of the machine that one pulls up while threading seems to be stuck. I haven't used a sewing machine in years, and I have NEVER used a vintage machine like this one, and I have no idea what this part of a machine would be called or how easy it is to replace. What is the name of this part, oh stitchy ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bat Mouth
Jan 14, 2008
seizures like thunder in the brain

ozmunkeh posted:

It's a take-up lever.

http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMatics.html
http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMatics/Threading_Parts_ID.pdf

You found a Singer Slant-o-matic. My wife says she hates you. :)

Thank you! As it turns out, my roommate's strategic application of oil got the take-up lever moving again, so I won't have to replace anything. The schematic of the parts of the machine is useful, though. My mother says she empathizes with your wife--I called to tell her the news just now and she's jealous.

I tried the machine out and it appears that everything works. My roommate said that the junk on the street came out of an abandoned house across the way that's being remodeled.

Pictures of the Slant-o-matic, cleaned up and in my room:

I can't wait to start sewing with it! Hopefully I can start contributing exciting things to this thread soon.