Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cawie McFuckyou
May 2, 2008

So I'm going out fabric shopping tonight, and I'd really like to try quilting. Nothing elaborate or large really, as I just want to hang it over a window (roughly 3 feet by 5 feet).

So my question is, is it a horrible, disastrous idea to go out shopping for quilt fabric without a definite plan? I'm not sure how much fabric I need, as it is much smaller than a normal quilt and I'm not sure know how many different fabrics I will end up using. I had planned on just buying a yard or two of whatever I liked, depending on how many different fabrics I end up with, and yay for leftovers.

All the books I've glanced at about quilting have been discouraging about this kind of spontaneity, though. I'm usually a calculating, mathematically inclined person, but the idea of meticulously planning and plotting a quilt before I can buy a single fabric is really off-putting. Any encouragement or words of caution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cawie McFuckyou
May 2, 2008

Hoping someone can help me with a ruffler foot problem.

I just got one of the generic ones from Joann's, and it makes ruffles beautifully, but whether I put the fabric through the guide, loose in the foot, or completely underneath the foot, it still ruffles.

From what I understand, I should be able to place a fabric under the foot next to the feed dogs and it would not be ruffled, so that you can make a ruffle on top and attach it to the (theoretically unruffled) fabric underneath the foot in one step. What am I missing here?