Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hi thread! I'm getting into reenactment (early medieval, late iron age scandi), and haven't sewn anything since I was a kid. Can I ask dumb questions here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

vaguely posted:

I know there are some historical sewing geeks over in the embroidery thread, wouldn't be surprised if they hang out in here too, so you can go from the very dumbest 'how does i thread needle' questions all the way up to the nitpickiest historically accurate garment construction stuff and get answers the whole way through

Thanks a lot! I've been looking over this link for some ideas to create a basic low-status 'viking' garment, to practice for more complicated stuff since I haven't sewed anything since forever :ohdear:

In time I'd like to get a viking market stall booth because I do a lot of reconstructionist poo poo (herbal tinctures, shamanic augury and healing performances etc.), but for now I'm in the babbys first pattern area. I'll try to ask them!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks a lot! I'd probably go for in-country reconstruction patterns because I'm supposed to portray a Dane, but I'll make sure to check it out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Goldaline posted:

Also double posting but I'm back on my Weird Sports/Swim/Underwear bullshit. Pretty SFW even if it doesn't look like it at first glance? Thinking about the contrasts between fabric meant for ease of movement and the appearance of a restrictive garment?

Yeah, no feedback on the technique since I'm a noob, but the look is killer. I've literally worked in a gay bondage club, and they'd let you in if you wore that.