Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Relativistic posted:

So I'm about to pick up sewing again after a long hiatus. I've got a sewing machine on the way, and some basic fabrics I've bought for my first practice. But I also scored a huge garbage bag of fabrics off a freecycle. I think a lot of them might be wool, or some blend.

To test that, would it be reasonable to cut swatches of each in a certain size, wash on cold, air dry and then re-measure? Or is there a simpler way to test? If I wash them to look for shrinkage, how big should I make the swatches? If I make them to small, I'm afraid I won't see it if they only shrink a small amount. On the other hand, I don't want to cut huge swatches and waste fabric. Any input from experienced sewers would be great.

You really don't need to prewash wool, if that's what you think it is. (Another test besides the burn test- wet it with cold water and sniff, wet wool is a pretty distinct smell) You can pre-dryclean, but I never do, and my stuff is always fine- just make sure to always dryclean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stars
Jun 11, 2008

unprofessional posted:

Anybody have any thoughts worth sharing on quilt batting? Is goose down at all feasible on a DIY level?

My quilt is falling apart, and I've gotten sick of looking for a similar one, so I'm just make one. Fabric really shouldn't be much of an issue, but I'm not really sure what to do when it comes to the batting. I found some on amazon, but it doesn't list thickness, and wintertime in Michigan is cold.

I don't know if you could even find goose down in a craft store. Try polyester or cotton, or even wool if you want to special order. I think a wool/poly blend would be easy to work with, care for and warm, too.

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Dunno if this is the right thread, but how can I lighten a navy-blue article of clothing to a sort of Robins'-Egg blue? Is it even possible?
Would I have to dye a white/cream/what-have-you article of clothing to the right shade or what?

e: I'm not sure of the fabric composition, but it could be polyester, cotton or even wool, or a combination, so instructions for each would be wonderful.

First remove the dye with dye remover or bleach, then re-dye it. I am too lazy for instructions for each and if it's a bend, more then likely you'll have to just experiment anyway. If it's mostly polyester, I'd just give up.

stars
Jun 11, 2008
_Cross-
Have you looked into home dec fabric? Way heavy but they'll probably have something in a blue jacquard. If you want silk, I have had a lot of success at Chinatown fabric stores for silk jacquards, problem being they are 60-100.00 a yard.

madlilnerd posted:

I'm currently making a fairly tailored womens jacket with darts, but do I need to put darts in the lining too?

Yup. Make it exactly like the outer jacket, save the facings, cuffs, etc. Without darts it won't lie smoothly.

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Bungdeetle posted:

I tried sewing a puppet with the machine, but I couldn't keep it on the path it was meant to go on, on the edges, and created an abomination. Any advice for keeping control, or am I a retard beyond help? Or do I just need practice?

For really delicate turns and twists, hand crank the machine, just go one stitch at a time. Also, pick up the foot and move it often to keep it aligned. Sometimes you'll have to do this with nearly every other stitch. It also helps to draw on your stitching line with chalk, and sew directly on top of that line.

Honestly the best remedy for tight corners (like tiny puppet hands, etc) is handsewing. Do the main body on the machine, staystich, go back and handsew the rest.

stars
Jun 11, 2008

teknicolor posted:

Does anyone have any tips for sewing chiffon? I've never really used it before, but it looks like it pulls easy. :/

Hem it with a piece of tissue paper between the layers, then pull the tissue out when you're done- it keeps it from pulling out of place. I also starch mine to high heaven and then wash it out afterwards. I personally think georgette is easier to sew.

ETA beaten

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Reformed Tomboy posted:

How soft and sheer is georgette compared to chiffon? And where can I find either?

I too am in the planning stages of doing a chiffon dress and am having a hard time finding the color, sheerness, and softness I want.

Georgette is heavier and slightly more opaque. You'd only want one layer whereas you can add multiple layers of chiffon in one dress. It's not as soft as chiffon, and has that sort of translucent look like silk organza. You can find it at fashion fabrics club, denver fabrics, specialty fabric stores...I have never actually found it at Joann's or Hobby Lobby.

stars
Jun 11, 2008
I have sewn a buttload of clothes lately. I am putting myself on probation- no clothes for me until I'm done all the Christmas crafting. Well. I might make myself a Christmas dress, but that's it! (My hosting!)
Blue silk satin dress with peacock feather print silk brocade, made for a friend's wedding.

Teal silk blouse with peakcock brocade trim. I bought the brocade in Chinatown- 1/2 a yard for 30.00, yikes!

[imghttp://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss247/greenswizzle/IMG_6326.jpg[/img]
Silk twill gray skirt, worn with modified tees. I dyed this one blue (it was pink) and added a freezer paper stencil. Then, I painted some more with freezer paper backing. The rest were done the same way.

Owl top, with circular knit skirt made of medium grey cotton jersey:

Black brocade with a self fabric belt from a 1950's pattern. Wore this to the theater with a purple scarf I dyed.

I look pissed off in most of these photos- I have a lovely camera, and had the hardest time getting halfway decent photos.

stars fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 14, 2009

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Fart Jesus LOL posted:

Hello, I'm a super begginer and I'm making a bag. I was wondering if there are any tips or things I should consider when stitching together a thick fabric and a thin one (sturdy cotton canvas and thin satin polyesther for the lining). Thanks!

e: what I mean is I guess I'll have to use a big needle & long stitches for the canvas, but will this be ok for the lining?

Super beginner, don't use thin satin anything. It will fray, you will have a hard time unpinning and taking out problem seams and you will cry. It's a PITA even for experienced sewers and you want to have the option of taking your stuff apart and generally screwing up if needed, and you literally cannot do that with most thin satins. Line your bag with a simple lightweight cotton instead.

And nooo, you would use a very different sheer or ballpoint needle for anything thin and satiny. The regular needles, even ones not made for canvas, will make your fabric run, pucker, and generally look like poo poo/not work.

stars
Jun 11, 2008
I love the costume, Artemisia! I love how you incorporated the harlequin pattern into everything- that beading must have taken ages. It looks really, really good and I'm sure the pattern shows up so well in low lighting & with movement. It's perfect.
Also you are hot.

I am making a quinceanera dress for one of my students. She's going to wear it in the school's fashion show. She picked out the pattern and wanted something 'white with glitter.' It's not even close to the usual fluffy monstrosity but he's only having a small party/mass and is pretty shy, so I'm glad she went with something she likes instead of what everyone else does. It's fully boned with a double layer of tulle in the white dress lining. I bought all the fabric (minus the lining and tulle, which I had already) with a 40% and 50% off coupon, so the total was something like 35.00.

After french seaming 7 gores for that skirt, I can say it was pretty much worth it when I saw her try it on today. :3:

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Organza with a glitter swirl pattern.

I am pretty pleased with it so far and can't wait for a full photo of her and her damas! Should I add anything to the center front, all that white seems like it needs something- silver lace, or an applique, or...? My student picked out the trim and I forgot to ask her, I might bring something to pin on next time and then she can decide.

One of my other kids was too chubby for the sample clothes, so I made her a sweatshirt:

I am unhappy with the neckline and sleeve cuffs, though, they are too narrow maybe? Too tight? This was a modified Built By Wendy pattern. I am still looking for the perfect raglan sleeve sweatshirt pattern. Also any sewing tips for another cute outfit for a chubby 6th grader (she still needs a dressy outfit for the show) would be great...I am thinking a lot of A-lines.

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Cross_ posted:

Thanks for your show & tell, stars. I have some questions for you:

I am assuming gores are the lengthwise patches. Why did you decide to do so many and why the french seams? Is the material really stiff and fraying ? It seems like a lot of work that will be hidden in the end.

Yes and yes for the cuffs, I would triple the length and make the sleeves more narrow as they approach the cuffs. Don't know about the neckline. It looks wrinkled; was the pink fabric bias-cut?

Gores refer to the skirt. It was part of the pattern she picked out and really, the perfect choice for an empire waisted dress the goes from a fullish skirt to very fitted on the torso and bust. The material is organza, very stiff and frayed quite a bit. I even french seamed the sleeves!!

Yeah, I am doing just that, making them a lot thicker in the process. The pattern called for the big wide sleeves but I agree that a regular, tapered sleeve will be more flattering.
It's just regular ribbing. The weird thing is I followed the 2/3 rule of ribbing to fabric but it looks like rear end. I think I got some super stretchy ribbing, or hosed up my measurements somehow. Eh, easy fix.

The original neckline is really low, I am thinking it might even look better with same-fabric facing so keep the wide shape.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Also, that sweatshirt looks like the bane of chubby insecure 6th graders to me. I remember I had this polka dot t-shirt....forever known as the polka-dot cow shirt. Loose-fitting bold patterns make chubby girls cry.

She picked out the fabric and asked for a sweatshirt. We live in Texas, she only had her school sweatshirt/sweater as winter clothes and it's been chilly. It also isn't that loose on her, but it covers her butt, so it actually (ribbing issues aside) is pretty flattering.

She is developed, and very short. Big belly, 'baby fat' type chubby, she does not look like she will be a big girl all her life, know what I mean? I am thinking of buying some adult plus size patterns made for a and use fabrics and trims to make the into tween style clothing. I've been looking at options of stuff just to buy and it' so depressing, I want her to look cute and trendy and fun, and not like an old lady or little kid. :(
EDIT: I feel too weird about pictures, even if they didn't include her head.

stars fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 20, 2010

stars
Jun 11, 2008

hepscat posted:

Hi there, my apologies for jumping in a megathread with a question, but this seemed to be the right place to ask this question. :)

My daughter needs a figure skating dress that looks like this:

except with long sleeves, and I really don't care what the back looks like. Mostly it's that skirt that I'm looking for. This pattern might have the skirt I'm looking for, but I'm having trouble deciphering their wording. Can any of you take a look and see if it looks like the right thing? Maybe the 200 series?

You don't need a special pattern. You know on a pattern where it says 'lengthen or shorten here? If the skirt pattern doesn't have one, cut it in half (hamburger). Trace the top and bottom pattern piece with a space between, say 3 inches, then do the same again but add 6 inches. Use these 2 new pattern pieces, plus the original pattern piece, to make your layers.
To get the effect on the bottom hem you serge while lightly stretching the chiffon/georgette (I like georgette a lot better, and that's what it looks like it is in the photo- a bit stiffer and less clingy.) while you serge. You'll have to play around with the settings until you get a thin satin stitch.
https://specialtysportswear.com/cart/proddtl.php?catalog_id=100000479&
That pattern looks actually has a 2 tiered skirt, so you'd just need to draft the third layer/shorten the other pieces so it looks cohesive and not too long. Probably lots of pining and adjusting and just seeing what looks good. :)

stars
Jun 11, 2008
Of course the body would, but the skirt has to have stretch too? Why? Wouldn't that weigh a sheer fluffy skirt that that down? I looked online a bit and there is a lot about sewing skating dresses:
http://icemom.blogspot.com/2010/01/ice-moms-sewing-guide-all-about-fabrics.html
Which makes me really want to make another swimsuit. I still have a bunch of lining and agree that spandex house is the best. Don't forget your ballpoint needle for your sewing machine, either, I learned that by putting a run in an expensive fabric.
The hem I talked about, for the effect on that skirt, is here:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=654

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Shnooks posted:

Do any of you buy your fabric online?

I am taking a clothing construction class and we have ONE conveniently located fabric store. I figured I'd try online.

Suggestions for stores?

Fashion fabrics club!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Fart Jesus LOL posted:

I made a bag :-) It's not a great bag but I'm a total beginner and it was the first time I tried to use a lining sooo

Any suggestions on what might be improved?

It looks really great. Where is that globe fabric from? Did you use interfacing in between?
I always sew over the top of my pocket sides and go back and forth a bit over the edge, it does not look as pretty but they always start to pull away after a few weeks use if I don't. You could maybe do a satin stitch right at the top of each side to be more polished looking.

Eponine posted:

How did you do the bottom? My mom and I have been experimenting with grocery bags lately trying to make them lie flatter but hold more and I think squaring the bottom has worked the best. I LOVE the lining. I love the whole bag, really.
To make it flat you need to actually make a separate piece of fabric to go around the bottom and sides. Like say 2 pieces 12x14, a 12x4 (bottom piece) and 2 14x4 (sides). I made a square bag with needlepoint plastic, like that little kids 'sew' with and grandmas make TP roll covers, inside to make it lightweight but sturdy. It went fabric, batting, plastic, interfaced lining. It really helped keep the square shape- even the expensive Vera Bradley purses my mom uses have cardboard lining the bottom.