Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
My mom just mailed me the quilt that I started when I was 8 or so. A lot of it has been poorly handsewn so I guess I'll have to go over that with the machine. It also would be nice if it was a bit bigger, so I might see if I can add a border to that. And then I need to learn how to actually put together a quilt! It'd be nice if this actually got finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Hello sewing thread. My boyfriend has a quilt that is quite sentimental to him. It's unfortunately falling apart, mostly on the non-quilt side. I think getting it in better condition would be a nice Christmas present for him. I am a pretty beginner sewer, but I have a nice machine (Brother CS6000i) I can use. I've never quilted before. Is this something I could probably fix on my own over the next month, or should I find a professional? It looks like the entire back needs to be replaced.
e: it's about 5'x5'.

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 27, 2013

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
The threading on my purse strap broke. Is this something I can fix myself (do I need special thread?) or should I have it fixed?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Reformed Tomboy posted:

You can easily fix it yourself if you have a good strong needle and thick thread (or thin string). Depending on how many layers you need to go through, you may want to use a proper leather needle and/or pliers (to pull/push the needle). This is assuming it's real leather. If it's fake, it shouldn't be that tough to get the needle through.

Ideally you'd use a waxed thread or string, but if you use an ordinary but durable thread and go over the area a few times it should hold.

Well, the holes are already there, so piercing the leather isn't an issue. I'll see if I can find some waxed thread, then!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Does anyone have any preferred sites/blogs/guides for tailoring off-the-rack clothes? I'm not a total novice, but the clearer the better.