Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I've been working on a hoodie for my younger sister that will hopefully look like a NY Rangers jersey (She's a huge fan). Maybe something like this (saying RANGERS instead of NEW YORK) and in general look more like the modern jersey. (No name or our last name on the back. Who knows) No pictures of this thing yet, but the letters are a huge bitch.

Being a dude (guys having a natural aversion to this :rolleyes:), no sewing machine (I don't know how much that would actually help), and only ever learning to make a pillow in home-ec in 8th grade, this is huge for me.
Been lurking in this thread for a while, and have been terribly intimidated ever since. Some serious talent in here. Also, Goldaline, marry me. Much love for your outta-da-box stuff. Many props to all y'all.

fake edit: Also, is there any difference in putting grommets on fabric as opposed to installing them on, say, a tarp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Cross_ posted:

Hello there fellow male sewer :hfive: ! I picked up sewing without any home-ec classes so it can definitely be done; a sewing machine however would be rather helpful unless you are extremely patient and want to handstitch everything (yikes!). What's the problem you are having with the lettering ?

Mostly just sewing by hand is all. I don't know anybody who has a machine, and I definitely don't sew often enough to warrant getting one. (Maybe one day?)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

God loving speed.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Romphims piss people off so of loving course my dumb brain wants one. I do sort of like them. But I don't really know how to sew despite all my best efforts. So I.... compromise? I bought white coveralls for $15, chopped off the arms and legs, and I'm trying to fancy it up a bit with some cheap fabric from Joanns. If I fail, nothing of much value will be lost, just my time.

This might be.... a bit much in comparison to the all white.

I like the idea of the peekaboo hem (hem? cuff? I dunno) but maybe that's too much white?

Fuckin' lol alright this is what I'm goin' for. This will be it.

So maybe trying to add in pieces to something that's still somewhat assembled isn't the easiest way to go about things? But I ripped the arm seam back, and tried my best to do this:

I figure if I want to, I could roll this up a bit and show some more.

I tried to press the seams in between each step because I had read that was important.

Well, after a couple of hours, I had.... one sleeve done? ish?

A friday night well spent. Thanks for reading.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 13, 2018

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Tias posted:

Can I ask dumb questions here?

*sees forums.somethingawful up top*

Oh yeah, you're definitely in the right place for dumb questions.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

A quiet Saturday night alone, drinking in my basement, watching hockey and Star Trek, and also....

Making some monstrosities, courtesy of a mandala tablecloth from the thrift store, and a 1972 pattern for men's shorts. These are in progress shots (obvs) after 6.5 hours of (very distracted) work. I tried my damndest to line the pattern up. First time doing a zipper, not so bad. The instructions at some point said "Now sew together the crotch." without anything further. Dumbass me made a skirt out of it, then seam ripped it, then attached the crotch a different wrong way 2 times in a row.

Still to do is a buttoned elastic waistband and hemming. And probably endless fiddling and fussing with them afterward. I picked a gently caress of a thing to do as a first pattern project, huh.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Fuckin' bonus, they match my dirty old phone case.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1003337210912010240
They ended up being slightly too big. I think I hosed up the waistband, or need to add another set up buttons in the back, but by that point the elastic would be taking up a lot.

All in all, I made my first pair of shorts within 18 hours of starting them, so that's neat. A lot of mistakes were made, re-made, and fixed, lessons were learned, and I think I'm ready for nationals, coach!

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 4, 2018

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Not my picture but

Here's someone else's try on this pattern. This is the rear of the waistband that has a cover over some elastic band that buttons up.

I..... made these shorts like 3 sizes too big instead of 1 size too big (my idea was that hey, if I get fat, I'll have some wiggle room and can still wear them.) I think in the planning phases I sized up and then did it again by accident..... maybe twice. I'm also thinking I didn't detect this mistake because when I was test fitting, I had the pockets closed up all the way instead of having a slanty opening. I feel I was doomed to start. That, or these become a gift for a girthy friend of mine.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. At the very least I'm out of steam and don't really want to seam rip waaayyy back into this project.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I really need to know where you got that dice fabric.

Looks great!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

First time I've pulled out the sewing machine in a while, did a practical thing that isn't pretty to get back into things.

It's so we don't get bird poo poo on all our shirts. No pattern but I did a rough(er) draft in easel board sized graph paper. I didn't really do anything for the collar. My tension was not set correctly for this and I generally had a rough go, but hey, Pinto approves.

Bonus seamripper action:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

You're all gonna laugh, but I completely forgot what bias tape was called. That does seem like an easy finish to the collar, thanks!

Definitely need to make some revisions to the pattern. The graph paper and tape got me close, but the curves of the shoulder were tricky. I am sort of surprised and proud of how close I got with the graph paper, to be honest. I have 2 more to make, which I hope will be better.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Holy poo poo, got a new pedal for my sewing machine, and I have actual speed control now. The original was zero or fuckoff fast. This owns

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Bird poo poo Mantle Mk II

Now with treat pocket! And bias tape around the neck. Didn't realize that the pattern I'd made up wouldn't really work well with a pattern like this that has a right side up. Oh well, it's literally just to get poo poo on, so that's alright. I got one of those little bias tape maker cones, and didn't know/realize that when they say half inch, they mean the single fold. I dunno when I got it in my head that it would be half inch when double folded. So I had a bit of a rough time trying to keep everything lined up.

learning, learning, learning. All my fuckups are learning

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

As long as it's just a smell, just smear some vick's under your nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

I've got a Viking Emerald and coming from very occasionally using my moms old Singer 401A, it's ridiculous how strong it is. Doesn't really have the same stitch quality, but it's been pretty great as an all-around machine. I just successfully adjusted the fingers on a few pairs of leather work gloves last week, as an example.

I use a singer 401A and I go through layers of leather and heavy canvas for my work clothes and welding apron all the time. Unless I'm misreading and your post? My Singer has never left me wanting for power