Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Oh my god, Goldaline, what the hell? That's so amazingly weird. I love it.

This thread is making me jealous. I need to start sewing again. I got a serger for christmas and I've hardly used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Goldaline posted:

Also started over on the shirt to go under the wing-vest, I'm going for simpler this time. Fabric was originally a very heavy cotton (almost flannel) sheet.

Going to slice-and-godet it up to make it more full, still undecided if I'm going to dye the godets or not, and how I'm going to finish the seams on them.

Jesus christ Goldaline, if I saw someone wearing that vest on the street I would literally beat the poo poo out of them and steal it. I've saved every picture you posted of it, and I can't stop looking at them. If I had the skills to make that poo poo I would wear it every single day.

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but gently caress I love it so much!

drat Beep Street, I got a reply for you all typed out, but then you went and figured it out yourself :colbert:

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

:aaaaa: If you find it and you don't mind, that would be absolutely amazing! I think it's one of my favorite pieces of clothing I have ever seen.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Oh god, you must have amazing patience. I love quilts but I can't bring myself to try it, because it just looks so loving hard. I can barely finish a simple dress without getting distracted (I always have about 10 unfinished projects lying around) so I can't imagine taking on something like that.
It's gorgeous, though. You did a great job, and I really like the colors. I don't think it's a problem if it's a little less squishy than normal; actually I think I prefer them that way.

My boyfriend's mom does a ton of quilting, and wins awards for them and stuff. There are a bunch hung up in their house that are beautiful, and I always get jealous.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Goldaline you are crazy. That must have taken loving forever, and it makes me sad that it's on the inside and won't be seen by EVERYONE. It's beautiful, and I love the colors.

I want to see what you put up for sale, even though I'm broke as hell right now. Where's your blog?

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

I know that's the point, but it still makes me sad :( Actually, I think I'm mostly just jealous that I don't have those kinds of skills.

I have started getting my rear end into gear on a few little projects, though, so maybe once I find my camera I'll actually have something to post up in here.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Goldaline posted:

Shoes

Aw hell, that is so cool! God dammit stop making me jealous, I can't afford to take up any more crafty hobbies. I love shoes so much, though...

Anyways, I got some new knits and it's my day off so I've decided I'm gonna sit around sewing all loving day instead of going to see my boyfriend. I'm not sure if that's awesome or just sad.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Vaginadeathgrip, between your username, Gogol Bordello title, and those costumes, I have decided that you are completely loving awesome.

Both those costumes look wonderful. Please post pics when you get the real things finished!

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

I have a question... Have any of you ladies tried making your own bras? I'd like to try, as it would be much better than spending $35-75 every time I need a new goddamn tit-holder, but it seems more difficult than it should be.
I think after I got the supplies and got the first one done I'd be good to go, and could start cranking them out, but... I'm not sure where to start. I'm having a hard time even finding the right size underwires, and I think foam cups are completely out of the question so it looks like I'll be doing soft-cups. If anyone has good resources for stretch lace, bra straps, etc. I'd love to see them.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

I'm a bit confused... is the fabric getting pushed down by the needle, pulling the edge of the fabric closer to the needle? If so, that often happens to me with thin fabrics, and I figured it was just a regular annoyance. Maybe caused by a too-dull needle or something? I always just work through it.
But, I have no loving clue so you should probably just ignore me. When my machine has troubles I just cuss it out and mess around with it until it gets better somehow, or I turn it off for a couple days and then somehow it's working again :iiam:

I cut up some old thrifted sweaters and made them into one awesome sweater:

I love this sort of thing (filthy hippie) and I'm very happy with it. It's all just serged together, with all the seams on the outside. The hood is huge but kind of weird-shaped, because I don't know poo poo about hoods. Also it could use some pockets, but anyway I like it a lot.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I want to wear this stuff all the time. And fly a blimp.

Same here... except instead of a blimp I will live in a big old windmill.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

The first few things you make will probably look pretty homemade. I think it really depends on how much effort you put into it, and how well you follow all the directions. For the longest time I paid no attention to how patterns were laid out on the fabric, and just shoved them in wherever they could fit. It took me forever to realize that the bias actually affected anything. Turns out there IS a reason they have those little arrows on all the pattern pieces... little things like that can have a big impact on how the finished product looks.

It seems like you're off to a good start, though. Just have some patience, and don't try anything TOO out there for your first couple projects, but most things really aren't that complicated when you take time to think about how they go together. Don't worry too much about it looking "homemade." Even when YOU think it looks a little off, people will still be shocked and amazed when you tell them you made it. :3: That's my favorite part!

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

It looks like an awesome machine, but it seems like such a waste if you'll never even touch most of the features. I'd go with a simpler machine for what you want to do, you really only need straight stitch and ideally an automatic buttonhole dealio.

Also, suits are such a pain in the rear end. So many fiddly little pieces and linings and hand-finished spots, it's loving nuts. I made my boyfriend a suit for a costume, simplified the hell out of it and left out the whole lining and I was still ready to murder him every time I worked on it.

It came out looking pretty drat good, though!

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Does anyone know of a good pattern for a women's button-up shirt that isn't, well, hella soccer mom-ish? Ideally something fairly easy to tailor around a large chest/small waist? I just wanna be all classy & poo poo, but I can never seem to find a decent blouse pattern. No matter what I go looking for I just end up coming home with 5 new dress patterns that I'll never make.

Unoriginal posted:

I made a messenger bag for a craft swap. I've never made a bag before and I made a few mistakes, but overall, I'm REALLY proud of how it came out. I didn't make any giant mistakes (except burning the front panel fabric once and having to remake it, but I that was partly the ironing board's fault) and I only ironed my hand once. I haven't had a project go right in forever so this is a huge confidence booster for me.

This looks SO GOOD! Insanely professional looking, I would never have guessed it was homemade. It took me about 10 tries to make a halfway decent bag.

Nettles Coterie fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

I've been home sick for a few days, and I actually managed to get off my rear end and sew a little.

First I made a little pleated skirt that I'm not super happy with, luckily I have more of this awesome scratchy wool.

Then I made these awesome leggings, they're pretty much my favorite thing ever and I did them entirely with my serger so it was really quick:

I got this thick printed jersey at a thrift store, probably about 3-4 yards so I have TONS left over. They're thick enough to pass for pants, and I made 'em high-waisted to keep my belly warm :3: the bagginess at the ankles wasn't intentional, but I ended up really liking the way they look as-is.

Apologies for the crappy angles (really, my legs aren't that short!), the dirty mirror and the unholy mass of blankets that is my bed.