Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009

handbags at dawn posted:

I am in the process right now of making a very loud red white and blue bargello quilt. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3333/3453998962_9286149cb2_b.jpg

I LOVE making bargello quilts...even though I really don't like the way they look. Its one of the few times for me its really about the creation process and not the end result.

(yours looks great though, don't mind my irrational prejudice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009

Rilae posted:

I don't know why I'm so bad it, I iron my fabric and double-check things but it always ends up at least a bit off and I've been finding that cutting the fabric takes me longer than the rest of the project. Has anyone come across a really good guide, or have some advice regarding this?

I appreciate any suggestions. :)

Definitely prewash cottons. Other fabrics I deal with on a case by case basis, but prewashing cottons is a must. I usually do the snip and tear thing (part of squaring the fabric) before throwing them in the washer. Then dry the fabric however you will the finished product. When you iron, make sure to press straight down and not move the iron side to side while it's on the fabric. That distorts it. Usually I don't bother ironing after washing because as long as I'm careful folding, it isn't needed.

When cutting, make sure the blade is flush against the ruler and don't go too fast. Mostly it's a practice makes perfect thing.

With the exception of quitting, cutting always takes me longer than any other step.

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009
Pain in the rear end to thread, mostly.

So I'm venturing into the world of making proper adjustments on the pattern rather than just pinching and resewing everything once it's made and this is giving me major anxiety. It also is making me reexamine how I view my body which I think might be...good?

Having exact measurements of every bit of me I thought should be measured is interesting but I don't know what I should do with some of it. Like, my right inseam is an inch longer than my left inseam. Should I bother adjusting for that with pants? If I use my bust or hip measurements I need to grade down two sizes for the waist and do something about the shoulders but if I use my upper bust measurement (generally recommended by the Internet) I have to grade up one size for the waist and three sizes for my hips and do a full bust adjustment. I haven't even begun to worry about swayback and prominent belly/bottom adjustments. Then there is stuff like despite having hourglass measurements, I look like an apple because all that girth is in my booty, not hips. If I only add width in the back pieces the pattern starts looking crazy.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a book that goes into serious detail about all this?