Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody know of any sewing resources (esp. blogs) that are hand-sewing friendly? An ideal resource would be someone's collections of clothing patterns that they've explicitly sewn by hand and labeled according to difficulty. Or else a collection of patterns that they indicate which would be wise or unwise to sew by hand.

For example, both of these skirts are easy, but I think something like this skirt would be hard for me to do well by hand at my beginner level, since it's more structured (and I'm not so hot at sewing in a straight line yet :haw:), whereas this would be easier.

It would be really handy to have some sort of pre-selected collection of easily hand-sewable patterns, rather than trying to guess if I can do them well or not. Does such a thing exist?

If not, are there any other good hand-sewing resources (books, blogs, etc) in general that you know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Are you opposed to getting a machine? You can find them used and cheap just about anywhere, probably for the price of any book. That said, this book is pretty helpful with hand sewing, as are most couture technique books, and it is relatively cheap. Has a lot of different types of useful hand stitches.

If you attempted that first skirt without a machine, you'd be looking at 20+ hours of handwork with each panel, the waistband, skirt and hem, whereas with a machine will take you maybe 3 hours tops as a beginner.

Hand sewing makes me want to die
I'm not opposed to getting a machine -- it's just that I actually find hand-sewing relaxing. :v: Plus I can't sit still while watching TV or a movie, so it gives me something to do with my hands. I used to do needlework, but I'd rather make something functional like clothing if I'm going to sew. (Although you're dead right about the time differences. I'm making an apron now that would have taken me maybe 1-3 hours max on a machine, and it's taken me almost a week to do it by hand and I'm still not done.)

Thanks for the book rec!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's seriously beautiful, and I can't get over the fact that it's completely handsewn. I want to give you a medal for that. Did you make all the petticoats, etc. too?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I posted this in the women's fashion thread, but it might be better suited over here...

How kosher is it to take your old favorite pair of pants to a tailor or dressmaker and asking them to make a smaller pair made using the old pair as a pattern/template?

I've been thinking about doing that for one of my pants that I adore and would wear until the seams shredded away, but I've lost weight and they don't fit anymore. However, is that just not done, or would it be expensive (for me, $150+)? Would I have to provide the fabric for the new pants, or would the tailor locate that him/herself?

And along those lines....I have an actual dress pattern from the 1960s that I've been wanting to use to make myself a dress, but now I'm a bit smaller than the size of the pattern and it's one of the old-fashioned kind that only marks out one size. If I took it to a tailor to have them make me a dress, they would have to resize the pattern to fit me -- would this be doable, or would it be a serious pain in the rear end for the tailor?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Awesome, thanks! There are two tailors within walking distance of my job, so I could drop in and see if they could give me an estimate on the custom pants.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
E: Never mind, I figured out the problem!

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey, if any of you are interested in costume design and/or are familiar with Janie Bryant's work as the costume designer for Mad Men and Deadwood and live near Wilmington, DE, she is going to be giving a talk at Winterthur on Nov. 18 about how she does it.

There will also be a talk the following week on Nov. 25 about costume design in film, "from conceptualization to realization," by the designer Gina Scarnati, who did the costumes for The Hunger Games, Snow White and the Huntsman, and more.