Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatsneakers
Mar 19, 2009
Hi everyone - I don't want to make a new post for this, and I figured the sewing community might have an answer for me. I am building 28 bass traps for my home studio.

A photo of someone's (sloppy) bass trap (the framed object on the top):

It's basically a wood frame with a piece of rigid insulation inside, which is wrapped in a breathable fabric. It is used to control reflections, bass build-up and echos. A lot of people use burlap, but any fabric which you're able to, 1. blow through and 2. not see through, is usable.

I am trying to keep these cheap and yet presentable. A lot of DIY plans for these mention that black burlap can be picked up for $2/yard but I've been looking all over, both online and in the NYC area and the average price is ~$5 -$6 for 56" wide yards. The frames are 2'x4'x3", so each piece needs to be roughly 32"x54" in order to wrap around the frame and hide the wood.

Can anyone recommend a black/red/orange/etc fabric which is breathable, at least 56" wide and not-see through that's around $2 - $3 per yard? I've looked through the sites mentioned in the OP, but I can't tell if some of the fabrics are see-through, or breathable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatsneakers
Mar 19, 2009

no.no.notorious posted:

A light flannel would be more opaque than straight woven cotton and is breathable. This may be your best choice. as for price, i'm pretty sure you could find cheap light flannel.

JoAnns had a 40% off sale on their website, so I was able to get 40 yards of black burlap, 36" wide for 99$ shipped, which works out to 2.47$ a yard. Since it was cheap enough, I will just wrap them the long way. Thanks for the tip though.