Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viet Timh
Apr 16, 2009
Just finished these pants yesterday. Nothing special, just a pair of cargo pants

But I've been using tropical shirt fabric for pocket material on all my pants for the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viet Timh
Apr 16, 2009

handbags at dawn posted:

You get definite points for the pocket material - why not have a little fun if you're doing so much work? :)

Thanks. It started off a few years ago I had bought all my material for a pair of pants... or at least what I thought was all the material. Once I started I realized I needed pocket material. The only thing I had was a Hawaian shirt print that I had more than enough of to make the pockets and stillmmake the shirt. I never did get around to making that shirt. Now I use prints like that as kind of a signature.

Viet Timh
Apr 16, 2009
Just finished making this:

It's a "back pack" for my dog. We're going camping this summer and it's a 2 hour hike to the site. I figure I could put his food in this and a couple toys. It also has two loops designed to hold water bottles in case he needs a drink during the hike.

I designed it so it would attach to his harness.

It's got a couple of workmanship flaws in it but it's the first thing I've ever done without some kind of pattern.

Viet Timh
Apr 16, 2009

Ozma posted:

That looks great! And don't worry about the flaws if it's your own pattern. Whenever I mess up on something I'm working up myself, I just call it a prototype. :) Plus, if it works- who cares!?

Thanks

I guess I should call the shorts I made not too long ago a prototype as well. I put internal zipperred pockets in place of flapped cargo pockets... one is a little messed up. I figured out how to solve the problem on the second pocket but I'm too lazy to redo the first one. It's only minor.

Viet Timh
Apr 16, 2009

HardCoil posted:

Does anybody know of a good pattern for men's cargo/combat pants? I'm getting a small home machine and want a good project to start on :)
Also, some kind of dictionary of sewing terms? Right now, I know a mishmash of Danish and English terms that may and may not overlap, and it's really confusing :(

I'd give you mine, but it's just a pair of old cargo pants I really liked that I took apart to use as a pattern. So I don't think that will help. But the first pair of cargo pants I ever made were from, I believe, a Simplicity patten. They're usually pretty easy, though I'm not sure if Simplicity is available in Denmark (I'm assuming from your post that's where you are). Either way you can order them from their website.

I do suggest instead of throwing garments out when they get worn out, pull out the stitching and you've got yourself a pattern. Sometimes you may have to adjust for stretching in the fabric, but they last longer than paper patterns.

As for terminology, I wish I could help, but I've been sowing for almost twenty years and still have no idea what half the terms mean.