Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CutiePie
Apr 29, 2009
I'm thinking of picking up sewing and making my own clothes.

I have no idea what sewing machine to buy. I'm thinking of getting singer 8280 or one of the brother for similar prices. I have never use a sewing machine before but I'm going to plan to make dresses all day long once I have started. I have quite a few patterns I would like to try.

Is reverse stitch essential? or Can I just turn the fabric round and sew and then turn it again in the other direction?

I have a fetish for Singer because my grandmother has one. The type where you have to manually use the pedal. But I'm not sure if the machines now are made as good as they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CutiePie
Apr 29, 2009
Well, they didn't list down reverse stitch in the specifications.

And Antis0ciald0rk told me that the machine I chose is crap. I have been interested in getting an antique singer but I'm worried about having to fix it up. I don't sew, how would I know that there's something wrong with the machine. And I think having the manual would help me a lot.

Should I just increase my budget for the sewing machine?

CutiePie
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks, I think I'm going to have to stop planning on my desk and just go out and see the machines for myself. Going to look at those 2nd hand shops as soon as I'm done with exam. I'm so excited!

CutiePie
Apr 29, 2009
Well, I'm going to take a look at my "workspace" later in the evening. I should be studying, my exam is next week but it's going for so cheap I don't want someone else to grab the place before I do.

Watch me crash and burn on this Sewing Adventure!
I have read and read but I still can't wrap my mind around how fitted bodice works.

Wish me luck!

CutiePie
Apr 29, 2009
I found someone selling an old sewing machine, but she doesn't know the model.

Here's pictures

Should I get it?

CutiePie fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 16, 2009