Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

Hey, I didn't know this thread was here!

Sorry if this has been asked, I'm still reading through.

I bought this fabric:

It's 22 inches wide and I have a yard. The men are each 13 inches tall or so. My original plan was to make a pair of lounge shorts, but I realized to match up pattern pieces with the men I'd probably have to use up a lot of the fabric and would have lots of little useless scraps leftover. I'm not keen on doing throw pillows either, but I can't think of anything else to do. Has anyone else ever worked with large print fabric like this before? What did you use it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

hey, thanks to you all for the ideas. I liked madlilnerd's idea of the apron, but I don't use them. The kitchen theme stayed with me though and I ended up making these:

Unfortunately I am terrible at quilting but I imagine they will function just fine.

So, thanks for the input everyone!

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

madlilnerd posted:

And it was Handbags at Dawn who suggested something useful like an apron.

Oh, my bad! Thanks Handbags at Dawn then.

It's kind of hard to tell if something looks busy or not without seeing it. Maybe you could post a photo of the blocks laid out. I'm doing a similar project, trying to get rid of old fabric and it does become difficult after a while to keep things matching and so on. Though if the recipient is worth a drat they won't care, considering your sweat and blood went into making it.

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

nolen posted:

So I have to provide a gift geared toward an adult male for a gift exchange.

Any ideas of any sewing projects I can whip up for an guy who could be anywhere from 6' 0" to 6' 3" and 145lbs to 220lbs?

A sarong is pretty much one size fits all, and you'd probably get a humorous reaction out of it. Maybe it would be better to make something that isn't clothing, since everyone has different tastes. What about a tote bag in some kind of tasteful, "male" colours like dark green or blue? Everyone needs to carry things sometimes.

Do you know all these guys? Do they have any shared interests or needs? Maybe a laptop cover, a wallet, or one of these(mildly nsfw, and it's knitted but you could sew one out of fleece).

Sorry these aren't that imaginative but they might be good for last minute.

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

I showed my mom these pictures, she knew some of these feet but not others.

In the first photo, she wasn't sure on the left two and said they looked like they were just replacement regular feet. The right two are feet for making a hem. They feed the fabric up over that curved bit and under to make a hem. You can see the process described here.

In the second photo, the leftmost thing is a zipper foot. You can move that metal bit with the circle attached to the other side so you can sew both sides of the zipper. The middle thing is a darning foot, which you also would use for freehand sewing when you were quilting something, for example. You can move the fabric in any direction when using this, not just forward/back. No idea what that last little doohickey in the photo is.

The third photo is of another zipper foot, just a different shape. I googled 'zipper foot' and more results were for this shape so presumably this is the newer version of the other one.

The last object is a button hole maker. You might want to look up this brand and try to find instructions or something, because it looks different from my mom's and she wasn't sure exactly how you would use it. We think the metal disks are for indicating you want different sizes of buttonholes but just experiment with it a bit I guess.

Oh also, with the darning foot you need to cover the feed dogs with a metal plate which snaps on, or you may be able to lower them into the machine, because you won't want them to feed the fabric in a straight line if you're doing freehand quilting.

Anyway, I hope that helps. It seems like there's a bit of info online about how to use these various feet so just google any of these words if you want to know more :).

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

Artemisia posted:

Got a better shot of the costume after the show yesterday

That looks really cool, great job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

Goldaline posted:

:aaaaa:

That looks great, especially the leggings! Suddenly I'm so dissatisfied with contemporary clothing trends...