Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
Hi, thread. I have been excited about sewing for a while, but just got a machine! Now I am very excited. I was going to buy a fancy new machine off Amazon (I actually ordered it and then immediately changed my mind and cancelled the order), but then was doing some reading about how solid the old all metal machines are. This morning I walked down to a local thrift store and right as I was getting there, they were marking the sewing machines down 50%. I bought a Janome New Home 444 in cabinet for $75 and it looks beautiful. Then I carried the drat thing 12 blocks home and my arms are killing me. Anyway, I got a bunch of presser feet, etc, and could use some help ID'ing them. I have ID'ed: screwdriver and smaller screwdriver.

Also, if you have a good reference for basic sewing machine maintenance, I'd love to get her cleaned up and oiled and figure out how she works. Also, a link to where you can buy sewing machine manuals?

Thanks so much. Pictures!

e: She has no foot pedal, but has that knee presser (I've never used one) and the light even works and everything.

e2: found the manual online and it explains most of the presser feet and some basic maintenance. now I am just bragging.

fanpantstic fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
So I've been thinking I just need to learn to sew leggings so I can make my own Black Milk knockoffs (with this). I had some thrift knit fabric my mom sent me for christmas, and I drafted a pattern from some leggings I have. (made shorts too use less material).

This is the first time I've sewed with knits or drafted my own pattern, lol.

Also the fabric is pretty thin and see-through. I ran into a few problems: The fabric I used has much less stretch than my leggings. I got the shorts on, but there should have been room to fold down a waistband and there was definitely not. All the fabric had to go sideways to get around my butt. Also the fabric is pretty see-through (okay, I'm just practicing, never intended to wear them). Also I still need to fix the tension on my sewing machine.
()

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
There's a pattern sale on at BMV right now if anyone is looking to stock up on cheap patterns.

I was about to spend $11 on a basic leggings pattern, but it is only $2. Perfect!

Hana Dammit - That is super cute blouse!

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
I'm looking at getting a serger off craigslist, there are often some nice looking ones for <$100. I haven't used a serger since high school sewing class (10 years ago), so I don't really know what to look for as far as what might be wrong or right about it. Any ideas?