Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I have a similar(ish) zipper related question, The zipper on one of my snow boots is destroyed. The teeth are ripping out of the fabric. The only cobbler I could find near me that will do zippers replaced the zipper on the other boot last year and I am not really a fan of his work. I have some okay sewing skills and would like to try fixing it myself. Is a sewing awl the right tool for this job? I saw this posted earlier in the thread for fixing a purse strap: http://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitcher-T200-Sewing-Awl/dp/B000HGIJQ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389625550&sr=8-2&keywords=speedy+stitcher

Here's the boot:

It's about 4 years old and otherwise in great shape but the zippers are just awful apparently :( If I can do a decent job replacing this zipper, I will probably pull out the one the cobbler did last year and redo it myself as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Thanks for the tips, guys! I had a hard time seeing the holes from the inside of the shoe, so it was pretty tough. 3 hours of my life I will never get back. I think I will hold off on redoing the other shoe.

The metal/black zipper on the right is the new replacement! Hopefully the mismatched zipper colors won't bother me too much, but these aren't fashion boots anyway... I hope it lasts :ohdear: