Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
in my limited experience, you can add some stitches to use tension to realign the teeth

failing that, i've had occasional luck loving with the slider by slightly crimping the affected side with pliers or expanding it with a flat blade screwdriver as needed. this is my last resort generally and is very hackish and i don't think it's good policy, even if it sometimes works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Hey y'all, I signed up at a MakerSpace to use their shop equipment and took a free sewing class last night and got to run a Singer 4423 and sew a covid mask

I'm wanting to practice on the fabric from ratty old Carhartt double knee pants I never wear anymore but haven't thrown out for some reason. I mostly plan to sew tool bags and pouches and other poo poo for work, and work on my work clothes as needed, so I want to make sure I'm understanding how to work with the material

I also have an old 12oz unlined duck coat I waxed that I'm either gonna try to make into a vest or a hat or just harvest the fabric for something else I'll use (this one I'd actually want to make something "good" with, bc it had a long service life so I'm fond of it)

Some questions:

1. Wtf needle / thread combo should I be using? Singer manual says, #14 and all purpose thread for medium weight cotton duck. Elsewhere online I'm seeing #18 for 12oz duck and a whole bunch of poo poo for the threads

2. The Singer manual, when it calls for a #18 needle, says to put heavy duty thread in the upper and all purpose in the bobbin. What's the reasoning there?

3. Are there any additional considerations for sewing already-waxed canvas? I did some light research and it seemed like it doesn't matter but I don't want to gently caress up these people's machine or burn through a bunch of needles

Thanks gang

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Thanks for the feedback / info gang

I'll be sure to keep an eye on feed dog / bobbin area while I'm working

One thing I forgot to ask: far as selecting stitch length goes on salvage fabric, should I think twice about just matching it to the existing stitches on the garment it was harvested from?