Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

How hard would it be to sew a round circle/ball shape?

My 6 year old daughter wants to be Violet for Halloween and one idea I was thinking was fabricating a cloth ball with internal support to hold the shape.

Not sure how feasible this is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Violet as in Willy Wonka turned-into-a-bluebery Violet?

Probably go with something like a giant ball made of panels like a basketball's, with a hula hoop or similar at the midpoint as a kind of boning to keep it round if that's important to her.

Yeah turned into a blue berry Violet.

I was thinking the panel design and attached at the back via velcro so it can come on and off easily. I would have to figure out a way to do head, arm and leg holes but that should be easy to create and hem.

I was thinking a hula hoop, rattan wood or thin flexible metal (like wire clothes hangers) for a middle and upper support and maybe creating vertical self contained pockets to run flexible supports through and that would maintain the shape and not be overly uncomfortable.

Any idea on the metal wiring? I was thinking a thicker armature wire or anything that can be bent and hold its shape, pretty much metal clothing hangers but straight.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 26, 2018

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Check out Adam Savage's Totoro build, he uses rattan hoops to make the round shape for the body.

https://youtu.be/L9O3KWrvxKA

That where I got the rattan wood idea from, he did a fantastic job with the inner frame and costume. Seems like that is a very popular video.

I'm thinking a combo will work sewing together panels to get the ball shape and use rattan hoops or hula hoops inside for structural supports. Probably make some "belt loops" inside to hold everything in place. Should be light weight and comfortable in most temperatures.

I'll probably find a basic ball pattern and blow it up to scale to fit my daughter.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Cowwan posted:

Next time I'm bored: I bought some scrap cloth and thread in neon orange and neon green, lets see if I can get the tension remotely right.

A managed to snag a almost brand new Serger, the lady used it once, broke a thread and couldn't re-thread it, for $80 on a Facebook buy/sell page a month ago.

I have been messing with the tension, hem settings and just about anything else the machine can do. Scrap fabric is wonderful for this and I'm learning a ton but man is this machine intimidating to use.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Bees on Wheat posted:

Lucky! I bought a Brother 1034D a couple years ago for $150 because the owner had no idea how to use it. I guess they originally bought it for someone else, but had no idea what they were getting, and the recipient had no idea how to use it. A sewing machine is a sewing machine, right?

Well, it ended up being one of those things I had big plans for and never actually used, at least until today. :shobon: I set it up earlier and figured out how to thread it (I think) and scrounged up some test fabrics to play with. I think I'm going to make a fugly tshirt quilt out of all the things I don't wear anymore.

You Tube is your friend, I have watched so many videos on this machine and everything it can do. I'm looking forward to Halloween, this thing is going to save me so much time and effort with hems and assembly.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I need to get a cutting mat and rotary cutter, I have some big rear end, sharp shears that I love but I'm thinking a rotary cutter and a straight edge is better.

Here are a couple of projects I did for my daughter recently.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Does anybody know how to figure out how much fabric I will need from the following information?

I need to make a sphere shape with a 32 inch waist and I want to extend the shape 6 inches from the hips and I can not figure out the math on that.

Edit. I think it's roughly 70 inches of fabric. I calculated the circumference with a radius of 6 inches = 38 inches and just added the initial 32 inch waist line.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 6, 2018

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

princess_peach posted:

agree'd. I would make one out of paper and tape first, then use that for a pattern

I was thinking this might be the best route but I love math and it seemed so easy.

I'll grab some paper and tape and make a few mock ups, that will also get the template part of the job done too.

Now the fun part of getting my 6 year old to stand still looking enough to mock this up.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I modified my original design for my daughters Giant Blueberry/Willy Wonka Violet costume. I designed the frame since I screwed up starting with the fabric. The fabric came out like a giant tube, I miss measured and didn't even get close to a circle.

I need to bend the wicker into a bit more shape but my problem is how do I now cover this in fabric? Im working with a standard non stretch cotton.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Pheasant Revolution posted:

It may not be the exact look you're going for but taking the tube and sewing a channel for a drawstring at top and bottom would be a very easy solution, just tighten them over the frame. Just make the tube the length of the curve, not the height of the frame.

Holy crap that's an amazing idea, it's so simple.

Length of the vehicle curve right.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 9, 2018

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The tube idea was perfect and I went ahead and added more supports and over all I'm super happy with the way this came out. My daughter freaked out when she saw it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

That looks nice and I wish I had that set up, I have to put all my stuff away when I'm done.

You also reminded me that I really need to break out my Serger and learn that infernal machine.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Your Nan is a smart woman and that is sage advice. My biggest thing is learning what it can and can't do. I like it for straight lines when I do sleeves and pants. I haven't been able to figure out hems or anything else and that's with reading the manual. I really just need to go step by step in the variations of 3 and 4 needles and just play with it.

Either that or hit up my local tailors and see if they offer lessons.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I don't think I have a hem rolled foot on my basic sewing machine. Is that something extra for the machine for purchase?

Anything that makes hemming easier would be nice, right now I fold the material over, pin and hem everything.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Oh yes you can buy many feet, I’ve bought three of these, one for spare one as a gift.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KING-DO-WAY-Domestic-Machine/dp/B071NNDDXJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1540158213&sr=8-4&keywords=Sewing+foot+set

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...sewing+foot+set

A few of them will change the way you sew, the 1/4 foot especially, you can’t see it in that picture very well but another helpful thing is to stick in a long bit of tape and draw your seam margin all along it, so you can guide your material along it a lot easier.

I had no idea those existed, I think I'm going to pick up a kit of those. How many of those feet do you typically use? I'll have to read about each one to see what they all do.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I totally get the not doxing one’s own children thing but enquiring minds need to know.

How did the willy wonka Halloween costume go on the day?

I can not be happier with the way it came out, my daughter's costume came out great, I was able to build my wife's easily and ran out of time and had to buy mine.

The tube idea to cover the frame was fantastic and saved a ton of time.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have a con in 2 months and my friend wants to go as Hit Girl so I'm thinking Kick rear end would be a good counter part.

Anybody have a lead or idea on were to source that body suit or even were to start possibly making one from scratch?

I cross posted this in the Cos-Play thread too

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Those suits are a good idea, I saw a decent costume on Ali Express based on the second movie with his armor that I really liked, I might go that route and spend some time doing custom work and improving it.

Now what's a good way to bind thin, flexible plastic to cloth?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Nvm I'm a dummy.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 10, 2019

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Is it feasible to cut elastic and sew another piece into the cut to lengthen it? I can't take out the entire elastic and it's just a bit uncomfortable with the current length.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Its anchored on one end with a rivet/snap button that I have no way to reattach.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Any chance anybody can identify what this strap material is made out of? Looks like leather, feels like a foam type product with stitching on the backside.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Found these in my bag of miscellaneous sewing stuff and I have no idea what that are for. Any help on identifying them?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Those look very handy to use, I need to get some practice in with that. I did get a chance to hem my friends formal, full length dress and I feel like I did a great job. I got the proper clearance and was able to hem both layers very evenly, I am super happy with the job, also because she needed the dress in a short time. Also whipped up a quick cushion for my daughters go kart for more padding when she off roads.

All this sewing makes me want to break out my Serger and learn that better. Anybody have a favorite how to video they enjoy? Also do you have to have the cutting knife down to Serge? My fabric seems to get super tangled if the cutting knife is stowed.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

loaf posted:

I just learned how to use a sewing machine and we need some masks for a halloween party, so I made cat faces out of felt. I made a bunch of mistakes but I think the second one came out a lot better.

You did a drat great job for just learning how to use a sewing machine, those mask came out amazing.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

When in doubt YouTube is a fantastic resource and I use it all the time with my Serger.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

This thread moves a bit faster than the cos-play thread and had alot of the same posters.

I'm working on helmet for The Shredder from the ninja turtles and was curious if 6mm EVA foam would work just fine for this?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I am going original Shredder for the armor and outfit as that is iconic but I was thinking of using the Movie 1 Shredder helmet design as that stands out more and would be a bit cooler temp wise with the face mask being more opened.

I'm thinking EVA foam with plasti dip should be rigid enough to support its own weight for the armor spikes and the helmet? I want to make sure this is safe for a convention floor but still maintain shape.

Going with 5-6 MM foam if possible.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anybody have any tips and hints on how to make a cape for costume usage? The internet is fairly empty from my searches on how to go about doing this. I am pretty sure I can wing it as it is a basic shape and just needs basic sewing skills to create it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Going with the superman style cape, based on the ninja turtle shredder. It's going to stop about mid shoulders as my armor should hold it back. I really want to get that nice bunched effected in the front.

I have an idea on how to do that with some hidden velcro in the front and cutting out a U shape for fitting to my neck. I picked up some really nice poly satin that flows amazing and the color is spot on.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The paper template is a good idea as I have large roll of butcher paper laying around. Making a collar and pleats is something I haven't done before and can be learned. Pleats are a good idea though, I like that.

Am I thinking my basic shape is going to be a large rectangle in this or more of a triangle with a rounded bottom?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

That's what I thought on the shape, would probably make cutting the neck hole a bit easier without having a ton of excess fabric up top.

Would velcro be a good way to hold the cape together at the neck? Snaps buttons would be really strong if I could hide them, I just don't have the equipment to install them is all. Having the cape removable at the neck versus going over my head would be nice.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Those sew on magnetic clasp are amazing, I wish I found out about those a long time ago. That would have solved some velcro related mishaps.

Thanks for all the advice on the cape, once I get done assembling my armor I'm going to get started on that.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Can go for a good respirator that's rated for oil and vapors, those are super nice to have around for painting and sanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Carbon Thief posted:

Everywhere seems to be out of elastic, but this pattern suggested using the thicker hair elastics. Should be a little easier to find.

I did this pattern for a bunch of kids, my family and co workers and it fits super well with the hair ties. The mask allows for slight modifications on length to make it fit better.