Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011

I'm a fashion student and I made this from a terrible old pattern for practice. They were out of the floral I wanted to use, so corn it was. Blind hemming and manually gathering that much fabric made me feel ill. I ignored the rick-rack the pattern called for because rick-rack is gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011

amishsexpot posted:

Oh my god - where did you get this corn fabric?? If you have any extra yards, I will buy it from you!

:swoon:

Also - nice job on the dress! Did you have to manually gather it? I much prefer doing 2 rows of large stitches and pulling while holding the under-strings - so much easier. What school are you going to?

I live in rural Australia and bought it from a local store here that is really trashy. You can get it online here though.

And thanks, it is the first thing I've ever sewn besides two basic calico skirts for school. I tried gathering like that but kept snapping the threads so I just gave in and hand-gathered it. I go to TAFE because it's the only place in my state that offers fashion. Unsure what the American equivalent is, community college maybe? It's actually a really nice fashion program though.

Edit: Also requesting more Hana Dammit!

Coopsy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 6, 2011

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011

Sorry for the terrible picture. This is a (hastily made) toile of a circle sleeve blouse from Pattern Magic. I know it was briefly mentioned earlier in the thread, but has anyone else done anything from these books? I've only been sewing for about six months and only learnt skirts so it'd be nice to see stuff from this book that's actually made well.

Oh, and I forgot. i hated the way the sleeve in the book sat so mine's pinned differently. Also my toile is too small for my dressform, I know.

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011

I made this dress out of bandannas for a contest at my fashion school involving bandanna day, an Australian charity day for kids with cancer. Had to be made from their sadly hideous designed bandannas which I dyed. Luckily construction is unimportant because I have only been sewing for about 9 months and I am terrible. Anyway the only stipulation was that the dress needs to appeal to a girl from 12-24 so goonettes in that age range, your opinion would be appreciated! She is supposed to be half spider, half Japanese empress if that helps.

Coopsy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 18, 2011

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011

Does anyone here have any experience with sewing together fabrics of drastically different weights? Specifically either a poly crepe or chiffon and a boucle? I am trying to make a kimono-inspired jumpsuit for myself to fake luxuriousness for a local fashion event but I'm a bit worried about the problems that might come with those fabrics. Thanks!

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011

I've worked plenty with chiffon before so slipping doesn't worry me too much, more slippage at the seams. Especially with a heavier piled fabric like a boucle. I thought about interfacing but on a sheer it wouldn't really work. I'm making the pattern myself so the best way to go about it will probably just be to do a few toiles.

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011

I also have a very deep tuck at one of the weakest points so interfacing would make me lose some drape. Otherwise it would be the first thing i'd try too! I've gone with a combination of rearranging the seaming and understitching (thanks so much!) which should take away most of the strain that was scaring me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011

I thought I would post a questionable jacket I made to wear to a fashion show while we're on the topic of menswear. I've always drafted my own patterns because I can and because most commercial menswear patterns are for fat man pants and ugly shirts. Sorry about the colour of my bathroom, it's not my fault I swear. And sorry it's a bit droopy, the hand-tacking on the shoulder pad wasn't done at this point, but you get the idea.