Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm one of those awkwardly tall/skinny people who can't find pants. I've finally decided, that, if the clothing industry won't give me properly fitting jeans, then I imagine I'll just have to make them myself. Luckily, I have a lovely old Elna to do so on. Unfortunately, the last time I sewed was in 8th grade. I realize that, realistically, I probably won't be able to jump straight to making jeans (and certainly not to making jeans that anyone would want to wear). So, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions going into this project, maybe some patterns to start out on, some skills to practice etc. Also, if anyone knows where to find a pattern for slim-fitting men's jeans, that would be lovely.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be back to badger you guys with more questions along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I have a 70s Elna that I love dearly. However, recently it's begun to make quite a few odd noises as I try and sew. Its two favorites are squeaking and a noise like a helicopter.

Sometimes (regularly) the thread spontaneously breaks just above the needle.

I don't know how easy it is to diagnose a sewing machine's ailment from these sorts of symptoms, but if there is anything in particular that might be a step in the right direction, that would be great.

Failing that, where should I go that won't be ludicrously expensive, if it needs to be properly repaired?

(Also, of course, if there's anything in particular you'd need to know to help with all this I'll do my best to find out about it!)

I'm sure everyone's heart goes out to this poor machine.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

amishsexpot posted:

Ok, I'll admit it. I saw Spring Breakers and now want black sweatpants with "DTF" on the butt. Are there any silver metallic (or white) iron-on sheets out there? Or large 4 inch letters I could iron on? My Google fu is failing me.

Same.

On an unrelated note, I'm trying to make varsity jackets this summer, and I'm having mixed success. I didn't find any particularly good patterns online, and would like to style it after one of the ones I have. Are there any resources that are especially good for getting patterns from existing clothing/do I have to seam rip an existing piece of clothing to make this work?

e: Or any general advice on varsity jackets/sleeves, because gently caress sleeves man they are really hard.