Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

I've been forcing myself to put off purchasing a machine for months now, while studying the (original of course) reader's digest complete, but tonight my will broke, especially considering I'm two paychecks into a new job. It's on.

I suspect my creations would end up being more welcome in the cosplay thread with my ridiculously loud style, but nonetheless, hello, stitchgoons. I like to make things out of fleece that people don't normally make out of fleece, as well as make bright, costume-loud garments that aren't actually costumes, just bold. So far, I've stuck to talking with fashion designer friends, and studying the RD Complete. I had my concept for my ideal hoodie made real by a talented seamstress a while back, and that was what sealed the deal for me, and I knew I had to acquire these skills for myself.

I am a graphic/web/interface/motion designer by trade, so I think I might be bringing some unique angles and approaches to things, assuming I can actually work a machine. Is anyone else in here a digital artist type by trade who's branched into clothing, or am I alone in that?

My current goal project is a lab-coat themed trench coat of sorts, in white fleece with purple lining, and some pretty fancy techniques for the finishing and detailing... so I'll be practicing quite a bit first since that's super ambitious. It's for a friend who is a scientist.

Questions:

What is a good way to mark out lines for cutting or stitching on poly-fleece that will both stay put while I work, and wash out when I'm done?

If I want to line a poly-fleece garment with something lightweight, what is ideal? My concern here is that whatever I use should not shrink differently from the fleece when washed, because I know how that ends... or would washing the fabric before even assembling the garment fix this?

How plausible / attainable is completely custom printed pattern fabric in small quantities? like, say, I design a pattern in Illustrator and want it printed in black ink onto 3 yards of pink cotton, or something. Does this exist as A Thing and how much am I gonna end up paying? If I need really small amounts of something for detailing I'd probably just hand draw it with those "industrial" sharpies, but I might need enough to line, say, an entire hoodie, but just one or two.

Thanks~

this catte fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

So, in finally scaling things up and attempting a larger practice project with poly fleece, I've discovered that keeping edges pinned nicely on stretchy fabric is actually kind of a challenge. Does anyone have any tips for a good way to keep, say, 3 layers of poly fleece all lined up neat and nice? The pins I used slipped just enough as I was sewing to slide the middle layer sideways a bit and mess the whole join up. :saddowns: With how thick and fluffy and stretchy it is, it is really tough to keep a stable stacked edge as I work, or maybe I'm just missing something really obvious.

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

Looking up basting, I'm shocked I didn't even think to try that... it seems so obvious now.

I could try my walking foot, but it seems like with this thick a stack, and slippery fabric, it would maybe make things worse for the middle layer. Nonetheless, will try it next I sew.

Thanks for pointing out basting to me. :downs: