Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have been trying to learn to sew, and I figured that making clothes for my 2 year old niece might be a good way to get to know the "lay of the land". I tried my hand at the Imke shirt in Sewing Clothes Kids Love and these two shirts resulted.

Unfortunately my niece lives hundreds of miles away, so I can't easily check the fit and adjust the pattern. My sister told me that (while she loved them) the necks on the shirts were much too large, and I don't know enough to know if I botched the assembly or if the pattern is just not quite right for my niece.

I know that I had some issues keeping the neck from stretching out as I stitched it. I felt like the feed dogs were stretching out the fabric as it pulled through the machine, and I wasn't really sure how to fix that.

I don't have the shirts anymore, or I would take some closeup images of the collars. They are made from some double fold bias tape that I made using a little thing from Clover where you pull a strip of fabric through and press it.

If anyone has experience with this sort of thing, or can critique my two t-shirts I would appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Not an Anthem posted:

I'm still a total novice but I try to copy things I see. I don't know how to do shirt construction, even though I'm sure its simple, so I don't know how to copy patterns from things I own although I'd love to copy a few specific cuts. Any video/youtube or websites you know that show this sort of thing well?

This is pretty much me too. I picked up a used copy of the book Patterns from Finished Clothes for $4, but have yet to make anything using the techniques it describes. The book is well reviewed, and what I have read in it seems totally reasonable. It basically talks about recreating a pattern from a given garment without having to dismantle it. I am still reading it, but I believe it also talks about how to determine the order and methods of assembly.

If you want, I can post a more useful opinion of the book once I've actually recreated something using its methods.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have a few rookie questions about pattern reading. I am making a hooded cloak from a Simplicity pattern, and I want to make sure I understand the seam allowances before I cut anything. The general instructions say that I should use a 5/8" seam allowance everywhere unless it is otherwise marked.

1) I take this to mean that the pattern edge is the sewing line, and when I transfer it to the fabric I should leave an extra 5/8". (In a few places it specifies 3/8" on the pattern edge, and I would leave that much instead in those places.) Does that sound right?

2) On all the edges that need to be hemmed, it says '5/8" hem allowed' which I read to mean that the hem allowance is already on the pattern, so I will cut the fabric at the pattern edge in those places and leave no extra. Is that right?

3) Finally are there any tricks to cutting large pattern pieces? The instructions have me cutting doubled fabric, and the cloak front/back panels are kinda huge. I plan to pin the pattern to the fabric, but are there any other tricks to make that easier?

Thanks!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Unoriginal posted:

I believe the seam allowance is already on the pattern piece. They just want you to sew 5/8" away from the edges. I believe your interpretation of the hem allowance is correct. Can't help with the tricks, though. I don't usually cut/sew large things like that.

Thanks for the input! I stitched it up and it came out pretty well I think. Moving all of that fabric around while sewing it was a bit of a hassle, but it worked out fine. I just pinned the hell out of whatever seam I was working on at the time.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have a CS6000I and it works fine. I basically only use straight, triple straight, and zigzag though. It was a bridal shower gift from my mother to my wife several years ago, and sat unused for a while before I started messing around with it. It is fairly idiot proof and easy to use I think, which is good if you are just starting. (But then again you might get that with any halfway decent sewing machine.)

I guess I am saying - I have one and it works just fine for my purposes, but it has tons of stitches I will never use and would not pay extra for if I were looking to buy a machine for myself.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I am something of a newbie, but that looks like a tension issue to me. Can you increase the top thread tension and/or decrease the bobbin thread tension?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pondex posted:

Is there any way to make a double-drawstring bag like this, without having the cords crossing each other inside the channel?

http://www.nicoleathome.com/2013/02/tutorial-double-drawstring-bag.html

I'm using some polyester webbing for mine (like 20mm wide seatbelt) and it kind of looks like garbage folded around itself. Maybe make the channel wider?

Sew two channels?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Ah right, I see. Yeah one option would be two separate channels, one above the other.

... but the option of separate channels will look weird if this is your goal.

I don't think I've ever seen one of those beach bags with actual webbing/strap material. Usually they just use thick-ish soft cord for the shoulder straps (like in the picture), and work on the assumption that you won't be carrying anything heavy in them.

If you really want webbing straps, maybe try to make a design where the straps and bag closure aren't a single thing? Like just sew the straps into the seams and get some cord for the closure? It'd also be easier to put in strap adjusters.

Yeah I meant two stacked channels so the webbing wouldn't ever be in the same path. I've made a number of bags like this myself, but never used wide webbing so I haven't run into this issue. With thin ribbon or cord it's a non-issue.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I finally got around to doing the repair and can't find my lil sewing kit. I've done some hearty googling but can't tell if there's any difference between them other than "make number of things in kit go up".

Do you folks have any go-to kits or should I just buy whatever cheapo kit is available? I'm guessing the thread in them is skimped on in quality or quantity but I'm too noob to tell either way.

If you're doing this repair by hand, I would recommend getting a spool of thread that's the color and weight you want, and a small set of sewing needles in somewhat varied sizes. I have used a few sewing kits over the years and I've only ever really used the needles from them anyway so I kinda never understood the point (other than maybe some ultra-small portable one as an emergency kit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't have things like pins and destitcher tools and such, but yeah I don't usually trust these kinds of kits to not be mostly filler, whatever the hobby.

Having a seam ripper is nice too, yeah. Shouldn't be necessary for this though.