Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Sidekick
Sep 14, 2013

Voice box, electric mistress, freeze tube zipper?
For awkward things that don't hoop well (or hoop burn) I have had good luck hooping up a cut away stabilizer, masking my hoop with some tape then spraying the stabilizer with a temp. spray adhesive made for fabric. Takes a good coat normally, and you have to let it dry a touch otherwise you risk it bleeding through thin fabrics and causing a stain. This almost never happens when I spray the stabilizer instead of the finish fabric but you are forewarned. Then just press and smooth out the fabric onto the stabilizer. I run my embroidery machine on the slowest setting for a while to get a solid tack down, but once the outline is done you can crank that baby up. It takes a bit more baby sitting then normal but works pretty well.

Another option I have done is to stitch out on to organza with either wash-away or regular stabilizer depending on the design. Once it is stitched out you can cut the design out. The organza is so sheer you can applique it onto something and not see it. Particularly if you match the organza to what you are appliqueing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Sidekick
Sep 14, 2013

Voice box, electric mistress, freeze tube zipper?
Building a relationship with a good shop is invaluable. I know most people would never think to take something like a vacuum or other small home appliance in to the shop but sewing machines really do need to go in every so often. I had a machine in the other day for a tension issue. Turns out the stitch length was just too long for that particular fabric I was working with. Because I purchased my machine there and they know me they sat down with me and helped me figure out the best setting for my fabric and even showed me a few tricks I had not known about. I got a half an hour lesson with an expert for free because that is what a good local place will do for you. In the past there had been an issue with that machine and they did have to fix a part on it. Everything both times was free and painless because I am a standing costumer with that shop. At most shops you can find a used machine for 200-400 that will just plain stitch and zig zag but it will actually last and be worth fixing if it ever needs it. That cheapo Brother is going to cause her nothing but frustration and many of them can't even be repaired if there is something wrong. My mother has owned the same Pfaff machine for 27 years and she sews all the time with it. It is worth as much today as she paid for it because it is such a solid machine (about 250). I have in my collection a Pfaff 230 I have had for years now, made in East Germany in the early 50s. She is a beast, and other then the bulb (still worked but it had oil on it and smoked) she is 100% original. I paid 300 bucks for that machine and it is very much a professional quality light industrial machine. My point is if you go for just a little more price range and get a used machine from a good dealer you will have something your grandkids will be able to learn to sew on, and great service/help to boot. I promise you no one uses those decorative stitches. A few utility stitches is nice to have but those decorative stitches won't get used. Put your money towards quality instead.