Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Can any of you reccomend me a heavy-duty (-ish) machine?

I want to get into making a bit of outdoor gear but I'm getting option paralysis. I'm used to sewing but I don't want to run down my machine too much doing straps/canvas etc. as it's a loaner.

There's the Singer Heavy Duty 44-series, Brother ST150 or Brother HF37 (which I think is called ST37 in the US). Those are around the budget I have. The ST150 isn't that easy to find inside the EU though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Yeah, there's a few tempting industrial walking-foot machines on my local craigslist for not too much money. I don't have the space for one though.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Is there any way to make a double-drawstring bag like this, without having the cords crossing each other inside the channel?

http://www.nicoleathome.com/2013/02/tutorial-double-drawstring-bag.html

I'm using some polyester webbing for mine (like 20mm wide seatbelt) and it kind of looks like garbage folded around itself. Maybe make the channel wider?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm using the webbing for the drawstrings. But there's two drawstrings running through each channel from opposite sides. And as far as I can figure out, they're always going to cross inside the channel and wrap around each other. Which I don't really care for.
Like this:

I may just need some thinner straps. Or a wider channel

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

ephphatha posted:

If you're committed to using wide webbing having a single loop works at the cost of being slightly more awkward to close the bag. It also won't be as secure when closed.

The webbing doubles as shoulder-straps so I need two unfortunately.

Like this one:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm making a throw rug out of these cotton braids and I'm getting a knocking sound from my machine no matter what I do.

Any tips?

I've tried adjusting the thread-tension, presser-foot tension, changed the needle, changed the type of needle. So I'm stumped. It's a Singer 4411 so it should be strong enough.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Try lowering the feed dogs and see if that makes a difference, it could be slightly snarling up each time they move?

As far as I can tell they're not adjustable on this machine. You can drop them completely for freehand sewing but that's it.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

effika posted:

Does it knock when you crank by hand?

Does it knock when you use something like parchment paper with it?

Does it knock when you sew something thinner?

Does it knock when you try a different size or composition of thread?

1: Yes, if I move it fast.

2: If you mean paper between the fabric and feed dogs, then yes.

3: No.

4: I haven't tried another thread, but it's brand new gütermann polyester-thread.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

learnincurve posted:

That’s the kitty, drop them completely and try freehand to eliminate one moving part :)

It doesn't make the sound sewing in place, but moving the fabric causes knocking again.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Just did a test with 12 layers of a light cotton canvas. No issues or knocking at all. My machine must hate braids.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Lead out in cuffs posted:

My totally pulled out my arse theory: the fabric is really stiff and angled in places in the braid, such that it's bending the needle just enough to make it bump into the bobbin case.

Yeah, it seems like the needle is deflecting, since the machine can sew a lot of straight layers easily. Maybe a beefy microtex-needle can solve it.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Should I get a used Husqvarna Designer 1 if I don't have a great need to do embroidery? It's a good price and apparently sews great. I've never owned a computerized machine though.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I ended up passning on it. There was a bit too many red flags with the seller to buy it sight unseen.

But I did find a Pfaff Ambition 1.0 used from a store. En route to me right now. :homebrew:

e: Look at that sexy beast. Now watch me use about 7% of its capabilities.

Pondex fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

At my sewing class this past Monday, my instructor (who has sold sewing machines for 40 years) said the Designer 1 was THE most popular sewing machine for like a decade straight. She sold at least two every single week, and this is at a store that sells like 150 machines a year.

That's kind of nuts considering the pricetag. Who did they all go to?