Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Rythe posted:

Does anybody know how to figure out how much fabric I will need from the following information?

I need to make a sphere shape with a 32 inch waist and I want to extend the shape 6 inches from the hips and I can not figure out the math on that.

Edit. I think it's roughly 70 inches of fabric. I calculated the circumference with a radius of 6 inches = 38 inches and just added the initial 32 inch waist line.

are you making a circle skirt? just trying to picture this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

No, it's a sphere for the Violet Beauregard costume.

Ignore the waist measurement if you want it to go out from the hips. And you want to be thinking surface area rather than circumference. Also, you're better off laying out the actual shapes in a drawing, because A, seam allowance, and B, you don't want to be playing tangrams with fabric because you bought the exact number of square inches it requires.

agree'd. I would make one out of paper and tape first, then use that for a pattern

Peeches
May 25, 2018

BonerGhost posted:

A quick Google tells me polyester melts just shy of 500f, so it wouldn't survive an autoclave but I'd think would be fine with boiling. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. E: I would not boil poly fabric nor is it suitable for masks.

Wool fabric or yarn felts from boiling unless it's been treated and is labeled superwash. Superwash wool can still shrink in a dryer. Not knowing how wool sewing thread is treated, I would only use it if it's the only thing I have on hand and can't get anything else.

Do you work in a hospital? The fabric they use for surgical gowns and draps survive, but I think they're a cotton, like a really tight cotton

Peeches
May 25, 2018

there wolf posted:

It's an unwoven cotton material, almost a paper really.

Ah I see, I work at a vet and we still there heavy cloth gowns.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Do you need to slip it on, doesn't it wrap on? Or is it a "faux" wrap dress? Is that what you mean?
It's hard to tell from the picture.
It's very pretty. Hand sewing is ambitious especially for a knit!

Peeches fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 27, 2020

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Well, make sure you measured correctly. Can you get the waist band on comfortably? You may have to let some gathers out so it's looser. I'll look at the instructions again... In the comments there is confusion about the skirt.

Peeches fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 27, 2020

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Bingo Bango posted:

Maybe the hand sewing is part of the issue? On a machine I'd use a zig zag stitch after gathering the fabric, which will allow it to still have some stretch. You might either have to loosen the waist or accept that it might have to go on over the head.
Yeah, hand sewing tends to be overly tight, rightly so, but.... Yeah a machined zigzag would be the best

Peeches
May 25, 2018

I would not use elastic. The principal should be the same as the other skirt. Just redo the gather to match up with the waist, assuming the waist fits and can slip on with no problem. Even a little gather, as long as it's evenly distributed will look good. I'm curious to see this finished! I have never hand sewed knit material

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Volcott posted:

Hey there, what sort of thread would you recommend for basic stuff like sticking a button back on or mending a small tear? Finally used up a spool my mom's had in her kit for like 30 years. Material, thickness, whatever. Many thanks.

Well.. . Button thread for buttons. Depends on the tear but normal thread. I usual buy it as needed

Peeches
May 25, 2018

I love that dress! It looks great on you! I was just looking into uv fabric. Is it very heavy? I want to make a shrug type cover up for out side summer work but I don't want to be sweating like crazy.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

I've been sewing forever, and I just bought a new singer at JoAnns for 125$. I learned a lot from using seeing patterns. The gals at the fabric shop can show you how to read the package and what you need. Start simple! No zippers maybe. For your first project

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

In case people only subscribe to this thread, I just wanted to let you know about the new DIY discord that we can use as a backup

1) join https://discord.gg/UuS3ehc
2) get your userid https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/206346498-Where-can-I-find-my-User-Server-Message-ID-
3) post it in this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929094

Once you're verified, you can see everything going on. I'm hoping there can be a knitting/sewing channel

Yay! I love this community

Peeches
May 25, 2018

I do the same!! I need to go through it. Right now I've got a lot of t-shirts I want to make into scarves or face wraps. I also like to make headbands out of old clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peeches
May 25, 2018

I know people who use them. No zigzag I think just straight line. Hard to find bobbins for.