Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh god. Now I've ordered a bunch of minky, am making an otter for my 7-week-old, and having ideas for gifts for friends, nieces, etc. What have you done?

That happens every time I even glance at her emails. And minky is hard to find here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter

YggiDee posted:

I don't really know? I like stuffed animals, and I just made a little hat with kitty-ears. I like the idea of making flat pieces of fabrics into 3D things, but probably not clothing. It just kinda boils down to, there's a lot I don't know and I don't know what's important to know. Does it matter if I'm using cotton or polyester thread? Is the brand of thread important at all or is it just a preference thing? The local craft store has an absolutely overwhelming range of fabrics and I'm usually too nervous to ask the staff WTF 'bonded fleece' is vs regular fleece.

I highly recommend doing some small felt projects! Especially if you are hand sewing as opposed to a machine. The material is dirt cheap - found at Dollar Stores - and the material is very beginner friendly. I adore making 3D objects, myself.

Try some ornaments or desserts (my personal favorite). Templates are all over Pinterest!

As for thread, for hand sewing and starting out it really doesn't matter. I recommend finding an "all purpose" thread. You can even use dollar store sewing thread if you want, but if you want to use it for a sewing machine as well I recommend all-purpose.