Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

I am so drat stoked that I found this thread, you don't even know. I love to sew. My main beat is doll clothes, but I hatehatehate nasty frumpy doll clothes. I'd rather sew hopefully awesome stuff.

I do costumes too, and sometimes quilts. Since we're all sharing, have a baby quilt I made my friend:

Colors chosen by her. I'm not a complicated quilt pattern kind of person, so diagonals would have to do. I put the kid's name on it:

Good news, my cat approves.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'm interested in making doll clothing and things on that sort of scale. Should I be looking as a specific kind of sewing machine or will a regular sized one do?

You and I are now best friends. You want a regular sized one, all usual sewing machine buying rules apply. Don't let the size freak you out, it just means you get done faster. What size/type of doll are you sewing for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Cross_ posted:

I am sick of bringing my sewing machine to the shop for annual maintenance & repair (oops..another broken needle).
Isn't there some kind of repair manual to tell me exactly how to troubleshoot and fix things? They make them for cars- why not for sewing machines? Brother USA has been no help basically saying their service manuals are only for the service centers.

I thought a broken needle was something you could fix yourself? They sell replacements at JoAnns. Probably WalMart, too.

My sewing manual has repair information in it, but then again, it was made in the 1960s. :v:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Sup. Posting Christmas presents.

My husband got Liara and Garrus:

That is the loving cutest turian you've ever seen, don't even lie. (Shut up I know I forgot the visor.)

Everyone got my mom CDs for hew new car which now has a CD player. I went above and beyond.

I'd never seen her surprised at Christmas before. She really dug it.

My mother in law wants a wallet that also holds her keys and her cell phone. I took this tutorial and added a clear plastic front and a little keychain loop.

]

Made one for my dad and one for my uncle (not pictured, in red) from this tutorial.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

I made this for mother's day! I usually make doll clothes, making people clothes is nearly a treat.

It swallows my ghetto dress form AND THAT IS OKAY.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

I made myself a little sister to my messenger bag.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

I think I'm working with a bum pattern. Surely you've all felt this.

I'm trying to make a suit coat. I've actually put suit coat sleeves in before, but not on this particular pattern, and it's giving me fits.

After working on it and trimming away the corners in the arm holes in the back (seriously -- do they think I have back spikes?), this is what I'm getting:

With the shoulder pads placed in and with me inside

Just on a hanger

It LOOKS like there's too much cloth in the front, and I could solve some stuff just by making the armhole come in a little more, but I figured I'd check with some people who knew what was up before I started doing the whole scissors thing. Ideas?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

I made a quilt for my friend.

Time was a factor, which is why the blocks were so huge. My machine nearly choked and died, but that's okay, I like my friend. Close up of the stitching:

No worries, it's cat tested.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

I've got a White Speedylock 1500 and I can't figure out how to disengage the blades. The manual is useless. I can see a screw, it looks like I can take the top blade off ... any ideas?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Ooo! I'm contributing to quilt chat with a picture of my birthday quilt:

I finished it three months late but I don't care.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

How much would you all charge for a quilt? I have someone pestering me for one that I'm hoping will get discouraged by the price.

I mean, I still want to charge her something fair, but we're still talking like hundreds of bucks here.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

I break needles like I'm being paid. I busted three sewing my husband's first Starfleet uniform. You have nothing to worry about.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

My right needle on my serger comes unthreaded all the time. The machine still chains and serges, but I have two needles, I'd like to use them both. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

I think I want an embroidery machine. Hell, I really want an embroidery machine.

It would be nice to embroider names on stuff on the side for a business, and maybe make stuff with nerd designs on it. I don't need one that sews, I already have a sewing machine and a serger. What do you think I need to look for? I'd like one that I can put designs into via the computer, is that a common feature?