Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

I'll start with the backstory so you don't think I'm weird... I bought my girlfriend a bunch of pretty racey swimwear for hut tubbing and I wanted something to match. I found a seller on Ebay that had some men's swimwear that was pretty cheap (under $20 cheap) so I grabbed it. What showed up was garbage. The strings were just knit elastic in the same color as the suit and just plain trash. Looking at it tho I thought hell, I'll bet I could make something better. So on payday last week I went and bought a serger and a machine. I jacked up the first few I made, not ever sewing anything before. Anyway, I'm starting to get the hang of it.

This is literally the fifth thing I've ever sewn. The strings are just spandex tubes. The suit is see through mesh in the center with spandex sides. I still have a lot of trouble with serging and especially elastic. For some reason, the bunches are really small. I'm using a fairly long zigzag but they just look kinda strange to me.

On a side note. A serging question... Every time I use it, there's always an extra string that ends up caught underneath somewhere. So when I finish, I have six strings. The stitches are perfect though. It's just an annoyance. Any idea what may be happening? It's not a terribly expensive serger (Kenmore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Well I did something either really stupid or stupidly smart. I went to Jo-Ann's to pick up a book I had seen there before and stopped at the Husqvarna store they have in there to inquire about why I was having problems...

walked out with a Husqvarna Sapphire 830 and Huskylock 905. I didn't know you could haggle with those guys, but I did, and they dropped $400 off the total price, and threw in a couple of two hour classes. Both machines are freaking awesome and all of my problems are gone. The Sapphire is a little weird getting used to since it's all electronic. I keep reaching for handles and there are none. It has some sort of computerized pressure adjustment that adjusts on the fly, so when you get to a seam to sew over it automatically lowers the pressure to get over it. That part's pretty cool. Day and night compared to what I had. The serger is completely effortless and hasn't messed up one single time. Funny that a company that makes chainsaws does sewing equipment so well. Sewing and Sawing.

I've got some covers for audio equipment to work on so it's perfect timing.

And District12... That's awesome. Really...

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Antis0ciald0rk posted:

It was pretty dirty but I managed to get it cleaned up and oiled. It does a nice straight stitch but I can't get the knobs for the other stitches to move and the red lever will move the needle to the left but then it stays stuck there and I have to push it back into place with my hand. Hopefully I can figure out how to fix this myself.

Anyone know anything about fixing these things up?

Chances are that oiling it won't help. You need to find a way to dissolve the old oil and all the garbage that has attracted itself to it and get it out of there first. My best idea would be to use brake cleaner, from somewhere like Autozone or PepBoys. It has a nozzle to direct the spray and I'd blast every bit of gunk and grime out of there first. Then re-oil it. White can, red lettering that says "Brake Cleaner" Can't miss it.

Edit: Open all your windows if you use it, and DON'T get it on your hands. Be very careful. While I'm pretty sure it'll fix your problem, it is really strong stuff and it'll make you pretty loopy if you inhale the fumes.

Acc-Risk fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 27, 2009

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Can I bother all of you fashion conscious individuals for an opinion?

Every year I go to the renaissance festival and I'm always bummed out that I never can wear cool renaissance clothes. There's shops there that sell them but they're always stupid expensive.

So I made the decision that this year, with my ultra beginner sewing skills, I would try to make my own outfit, and maybe one for my girlfriend if she so desired. I even had a really simple design picked out that I think I could manage without screwing up too much...

Until tonight. While browsing Etsy after reading the Etsy megathread I came across this...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23288305

And it got me thinking. If she could make a simple vest that laced up the front a little and maybe slight shoulders, that would be a dynamite renfest costume. I know it's hard to picture but am I on the right track style wise?

Leather, at my skill level, would be impossible I think right now so making something like this myself isn't something I could manage at this point. And I'm totally for giving money to someone on Etsy however for something unique.

Opinions?

I couldn't find a picture of what I'm talking about except this one, and this is a toy :/ Just add laces to the vest and that's pretty close to what I mean.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/custom-showcase/wp-content/uploads/DCUC%20Custom%20Showcase/swass_apache_full.jpg

Acc-Risk fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 2, 2009

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

I think you being new to machines, you might wanna avoid restoring a machine as your first. Just my opinion tho...

Are there any faster moving forums than those mentioned in the original post? I find it hard to believe that with sewing being such a huge hobby that there aren't faster moving forums out there. I find most get responses in days.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

I have a leather question... A little earlier in the thread I mentioned having a renaissance festival costume custom made. Well I did, and it arrived.

Except the vest is a little too small. It's made of deerskin and it's really soft and sort of stretchy. Someone mentioned that I could stretch it out by getting it wet. I don't want to mess this up. Do I just soak it and stretch it or do I have to have it stretched while it dries? Like hang it up and have something heavy tied to it somehow. It's a little tight from the shoulders down and probably an inch short across my chest where the bone buttons are.

Attached is a photo. I had no idea what it was going to look like when I ordered it, I just trusted her. I had no idea the bottom was going to be that... trianglish and skimpy. Good thing I'm not modest. I'll hafta put sunscreen on my butt. The whole thing turned out really nice tho. She even made me a shoulder bag thing... I told her I wanted some way to carry a car key, really small camera and some money and thats what she came up with.

Seeing this really makes me want to try to make one on my own. I think it'd be a blast to try. The construction is really simple.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Hey Ashcans... Followed your advice to the tee and so far so good. It stretched a lot more than I thought it would so I'm thrilled. Thank you very much. I was pretty upset that it showed up so small. It's nice that I was able to fix it.

Now to make my own...