Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Hello sewing goons!

Quick background: I reenact the American War for Independence.

I'm making a double-breasted coat (this pattern) and it calls for welted pockets. I have never done a welted pocket, and the instructions are a little confusing.

Anyone have any good tips or tutorials? I'm reaching out to my reenactment unit, too, but the more help the better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Excellent! Thank you. :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sewing this coat, the instructions say to press the seams towards the back (rather than open, I think). It creates an overlap, which might be fine , except along the hem edge where it looks odd to me.

It's possible this is okay, I've just never seen it before. I could also get creative with trimming and make it fit, but I want to check with you experts first.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, I saw her post. She did what I probably should have done and left the edges raw, but I kind of like the way it looks hemmed.

I think what I'll probably do is press them open and alter it a little bit. The pattern is primarily meant for linen, but wool is acceptable, so making a couple changes isn't the end of the world.

Thanks for the button hole resources, too. I haven't started them yet, but I'm dreading it. I doubt they'll look amazing, but I figure they'll be good enough.