Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

Goldaline posted:

Ahaha, so I've been working on these feathered leggings/pants for a few days. I finally put the on someone...and wow, they look a lot more like gorilla legs than I anticipated.

Oh well! They're due Thursday so I guess that's just how it's going to be.

I think if the feathers went all the way down to the ankle, they'd look less like gorilla legs. But I didn't really think gorilla until you said something about it. They kind of remind me of the pants that are in vogue with belly dancers right now that either have big slashed open flares with a lettuce edge, or flares with layers of ruffles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

nolen posted:

So I have to provide a gift geared toward an adult male for a gift exchange.

Any ideas of any sewing projects I can whip up for an guy who could be anywhere from 6' 0" to 6' 3" and 145lbs to 220lbs?

Fleece wristwarmers/fingerless gloves in a dark color or a manly pattern, like camo? Super fast and easy to make, and kind of one size fits all. I don't have a pattern to link, but the simplest kind is basically a tube with a thumb hole. Can be knitted or crocheted, too. You could also do a matching fleece scarf.

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish
Finally took photos off my camera of a few holiday projects.

Little birds out of recycled semi-felted cashmere sweaters. They would have been better if I'd felted them more, but I was impatient and my washer doesn't felt that well. I could be a lot happier with how the birds actually came out but I really love this photo I took of them because normally my photos are lousy :3:

Pillows, with freezer paper stencils, applique, and hand embroidery:

(backs of the pillows)

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish
This seems to be the most relevant place to ask this. I'd like to learn some bead embroidery techniques, such as creating beaded "bezels" around cabochons, to use for costume and jewelry making. I know this info is online, but I was thinking I'd rather have a reference book containing a lot of different techniques. Obviously there are TONS of books about beading on Amazon, could anyone recommend a really good one that has fairly comprehensive info?

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish
I promise to come back with better shots after the performance this is for, but I'm too excited to be done with this costume to not subject you to my badly lit no right to call myself a belly dancer with that horrible posture and arm positioning snap shot.

The bra was built over a commercial bra with stiff cups. The belt uses felt as a base, and I'm really unhappy with how wrinkly it looks when pulled tight around my hips. I've tried using that stiff felt stuff before, but it tends to ride up while dancing. I'm not sure what else to try. Luckily, the wrinkles aren't that obvious in real life with the light constantly changing off the different sequins.

The scallops on the bra and belt have wire sewn along the edge to help hold the shape and there's a little bit of extra felt added to the edge of the bra cups to make the design. The supplies used were a stretchy sequin covered fabric, silver sequin trim, and Egyptian beaded fringe (silver and black separately, I spliced it together into the stripes) from Ebay... I did not sew individual sequins or string individual beads, not QUITE that crazy yet. The skirt is stretch velvet and black/silver mesh.

The black and white splotchy thing peeking out in the 2nd photo is actually a silk veil dyed with a giant harlequin pattern, but my teacher dyed that for me, I didn't make it.

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

Artemisia posted:

Harlequin belly dance costume

Got a better shot of the costume after the show yesterday, although it was with freaky red stage lighting:

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

4R7 THi3F posted:

Don't use chiffon or georgette. That's a bodysuit with what looks like 3 tiers of circles sewn into waist. If it's for figure skating, the garment needs to be able to stretch and move with the body. A woven fabric will restrict movement. There are plenty of 4-way stretch fabrics that can achieve that look in the picture, you just have to shop around for them.

There may be other/better sources, but https://www.spandexhouse.com has a fairly wide selection, and I had a good experience ordering from them. I ordered most of the materials for my belly dance costume a few posts back from them (stretch sequin fabric, stretch velvet, stretch glitter mesh). I had never really sewn with stretchy fabrics before, but I was amazed at how easy it was.

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

stars posted:

Of course the body would, but the skirt has to have stretch too? Why? Wouldn't that weigh a sheer fluffy skirt that that down? I looked online a bit and there is a lot about sewing skating dresses:
http://icemom.blogspot.com/2010/01/ice-moms-sewing-guide-all-about-fabrics.html
Which makes me really want to make another swimsuit. I still have a bunch of lining and agree that spandex house is the best. Don't forget your ballpoint needle for your sewing machine, either, I learned that by putting a run in an expensive fabric.
The hem I talked about, for the effect on that skirt, is here:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=654

Huhhh, I just used a regular needle for lightweight fabrics. Seemed to sew really well, but I guess nothing I was using was super delicate. I'll have to look into this ballpoint needle that you speak of, though...

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish
So, I totally feel like this doesn't belong in here with everyone's serious business sewing work, but I'm excited about my weird project and want to share it.

I vend my paintings at a festival in Baltimore each spring called Flowermart. I look at the silly floral hats in the hat competition they have every year and go "pshhhh I could win that." So this year I made a hat.

It's a tribute to the "Poe Toaster," who leaves a bottle of cognac and three roses on Poe's original gravesite here in Baltimore each year. Well, each year but this one...he didn't show up this year, sadly.

I have no idea if I'll win the contest with this monstrosity but I hope it either amuses people or upsets old ladies.

(click to enbiggen)

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

MaakHatt posted:

waterproof, wind proof cloak materials

Wool would be a good choice. It might not keep you totally dry in extended, torrential rain, but otherwise it has some degree of natural waterproofing to it, as long as you don't wash it with fabric softener. It will also keep you very toasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish
So I was reading the recent sewing machine buying advice on here with some interest, and low and behold, my machine starts acting funny again.

My current machine is a "Bernette 50," which according to the page linked, is sort of a Bernina, but crappy. It was a gift 7 years ago, so I don't know how expensive it was, but I've had to have it repaired and tuned up an awful lot for someone who only sews in fits and spurts. I don't think I want to pay to have it looked at again.

I just read through the link recommended in the first post about buying a sewing machine, and it was very helpful, but I was wondering if anyone could make a more specific recommendation if I lay out my needs/wants:

-I sew both non-stretch and stretch fabrics. Just started getting into sewing stretchy stuff, like stretch velvet and lycra, for belly dance costuming. I mostly use a zigzag stitch for it, but if there's a better option for stretch fabric, I'm open to that.

-I don't want to do machine quilting or embroidery. I probably don't need anything beyond the straight stitch, the zigzag, and maybe an improved stretch stitch and a hemming stitch (which I've never tried to do on this machine because I'm kind of dumb and technophobic- I don't even know if it does it!)

-I don't need a needle threader

-Easy to maintain with very clear instructions in the manual on exactly what I need to do, how to do it, and how often (the Bernette manual is AWFUL) or doesn't really need maintenance (is that wishful thinking?)

-Easy to take somewhere to be fixed or tuned up, if it's needed. I'm not against buying a vintage machine if that's the best option for me, but I don't want something that it's going to be hard to get fixed or find parts for.

-Budget: Saving money is good and I don't want to pay for features I'm not going to use or pay big bucks for something that will break all the time, but I'm willing to put down good money on a reliable machine that will last a long time with no drama.