Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Tequila Mockingbird posted:

I want to sew some ipod touch cases. Not a tough proposition to sew a 3-sided rectangle. However, I want the two larger walls to be stiff - reinforced with something in the middle, like thin, flexible plastic would be really effective. Any ideas where I could get something like that, or tips on sewing it in?

Look for HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene). You can get this in 1mm sheets. It's stiff, heat shapeable and sewable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Does anybody know of a good pattern for men's cargo/combat pants? I'm getting a small home machine and want a good project to start on :)
Also, some kind of dictionary of sewing terms? Right now, I know a mishmash of Danish and English terms that may and may not overlap, and it's really confusing :(

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Viet Timh posted:

I'm not sure if Simplicity is available in Denmark (I'm assuming from your post that's where you are). Either way you can order them from their website.

Cool, thanks!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Cross_ posted:

Hello there fellow male sewer :hfive: v- Sure.. :airquote:seamster:airquote:

It's "stitch bitch", and sewing machines are essentially power tools. What are you waiting for??

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

nolen posted:

After that, I take the 3D model into a program called PatternImage. PatternImage is sold by a company called Livesforce, who also owns EasyToy. It's expensive software, too ($900 a year or $3k forever, though you get both applications for these prices). This software lets me draw seams along the 3D model and then unwrap them into a 2D pattern.

You can do almost the same with the free version of peakura :)
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

nolen posted:

Oh totally. I mentioned Pepakura in the Plush Monstrosities thread I believe and someone else came in and mentioned that Pepakura is pretty strict about the number of polys/tris/verts/whatever. It apparently prefers really low-res models.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, you can only draw your seams on the actual edges of the 3D model in Pepakura. PatternImage will let you place your seams anywhere and then do the unwrapping with whatever other magic it has going on behind the scenes.

That doesn't mean it isn't worth a shot though! I'm sure it's a fantastic solution for anyone on a tight budget :).

Exactly. You can print it low res/low poly and work with it from there. I mostly do backpacks and pouches, so it's fine for me. There are also some plug-ins for google sketchup that lets you unfold stuff, but I haven't played with them very much. It does look promising.
Interesting about the seams, I hadn't thought of that. You can design with that in mind, but just being able to draw anywhere is pretty nifty!