Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relativistic
Mar 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I'm about to pick up sewing again after a long hiatus. I've got a sewing machine on the way, and some basic fabrics I've bought for my first practice. But I also scored a huge garbage bag of fabrics off a freecycle. I think a lot of them might be wool, or some blend.

To test that, would it be reasonable to cut swatches of each in a certain size, wash on cold, air dry and then re-measure? Or is there a simpler way to test? If I wash them to look for shrinkage, how big should I make the swatches? If I make them to small, I'm afraid I won't see it if they only shrink a small amount. On the other hand, I don't want to cut huge swatches and waste fabric. Any input from experienced sewers would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relativistic
Mar 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks for the quick feedback. It seems like they were all blends of some sort, or not even remotely wool. There wasn't any shrinkage after two washings. I decided to skip the burn test for now. I don't want to be breathing in the fumes since I'm pregnant, and they might be treated with some sort of chemical.

I hope one of the experienced sewers posts some new work soon. I love seeing all your stuff. I hope one day I'll be that good.

Relativistic
Mar 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone know the best place the get fabric fur in various colors online? I need to make a stuffed penguin and a frog. I was going to mostly wing it by making a lot of mock-ups, but if anyone knows of any good resources about drafting your own stuffed animal patterns, that would be great, too.

Relativistic
Mar 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

deadlysweet posted:

I just started working with applique/embroidery on hoops but the fabric always slides! Any tips?!

I love your Kirby! I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe try some of that rubber matting that's made to prevent rugs from slipping between the fabric and the hoop? Or check to see if a water-soluble glue will wash out well on your particular fabrics.