Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I have a sewing problem that I can't quite seem to solve. I make leather products, and one thing that sells well is collars. I make collars with leather and fabric; I use a sturdy leather for the main part, a soft garment leather for the front and rolled edges, and either a fabric or a leather backing. All hosting is mine.

Step 1 : Lay out the pattern on a piece of sturdy leather

Step 2 : Glue that to a piece of garment leather

Step 3 : Cut collar into shape, insert strap / buckle etc.

Step 4: Lay a strip of garment leather, good side down, onto the garment leather side of the collar. Stitch.

Step 5 : Apply adhesive to back of collar, and roll strips into place.

And this is where I run into problems. I take a piece of fabric that's already been cut and hemmed into shape. I put it on the back of the collar, and then try to run another line of stitching snugged right up against the edges. But it's way too easy to make a mistake...

In this example, the foot of the machine was right on the edge of strap that runs down the middle, and it shifted just as the needle came down. That puts a hole in the rolled edge, which ruins it. So I have to start over. Since I'm sewing with this side face up, it's very easy for the fabric on the bottom to get misaligned, then I have a loose spot. Ideally, I wouldn't have to do this second round of stitching at all; you'd just see a smooth face on the front. But, I want the back to look nice, too; not just be a bunch of exposed edges.

Here's a side view

However, I can't figure out a way to finish the edges without doing another round of stitching, the part labeled "second round of stitching." I considered gluing the fabric to the back, and gluing the edges of the collar over it, but my concern there is that, in time, the glue will weaken. A stitch lasts a lot longer. Plus, when the fabric part does work out, it looks great; no exposed edges, everything is either seamed or hemmed or whatnot. Due to the stiffness of the leather, I can't just sew everything inside out and then flip it back. Is there another construction technique that would work? Or is the only answer "get better at sewing" ?

Pagan fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Funhilde posted:

Maybe a different foot will help you- either a zipper foot or a "stitch in the ditch" foot. It keeps the item that is being sewn lined up for stitching.

I've thought about that; the only downside is this is a heavy duty leather machine; it doesn't use feet that I can buy just anywhere. A single sided foot (close to a zipper foot) costs around $80, and I'd like to be sure that's my best option before spending the money.

Here's a picture of the leather sewing machine next to my kenmore.