Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

maybe not sewing related (unless it does end up being sewing related), but i have an issue with a bad zipper. i got this bag from the army surplus store about 10 years ago.. 5 years ago all the pullers on this thing broke off, and then the zipper teeth started separating. i've been using the bag without the zippers just fine but i would like to see if i can attach a zipper that works.

looking at tutorials online generally you break off the stopper and then reinsert a new body. but this bag doesn't have a stopper (or if there is its in the fabric flap over the tape of the zipper. also b/c of that, there's no excess chain for me to go and reattach a new body onto it.

is there a way to reattach a body onto a chain without removing a "stopper"? there may be a stopper that's being covered up by the fabric at the ends of the zipper but i can't really find a stopper when i feel around.

the zipper is also completely inset with the bag and there doesn't seem to be a way to pull off an end to attach a new zipper body. would i have to just completely rip out the entire tape to get a new working zipper in? asking for suggestions since i prefer not to have to do much sewing since i'm no good at it.

edit: picture:

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

yeah there are 3 zippers on this thing, 2 of the zippers completely disintegrated when i used some pliers to apply a small amount of force. the main one pictured i have already clamped down pretty hard on it and still they don't catch any of the teeth so i guess i'm going to have to go the route of pulling out some of the teeth and replacing the zipper body.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Have you considered just replacing the whole zip? That's what a bag repair place would do.

You'd just want to make sure your machine can sew canvas.

yeah i don't have a machine, i just know some basic sewing by hand. i wanted to get some advice since it seems closest to sewing. the tape is sewn pretty tightly to the bag so pulling that out and trying to sew a new one would probably be out of my skill level.

i'll probably end up looking at those zippers that can snap down.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

effika posted:

I've done this repair to a fake leather purse! It's actually less stressful to do it to something by hand than with a machine, I find. Time consuming, but you know every step of the way that you're sewing it in how you want it to look.

These are good basic instructions.

Get yourself a seam ripper, a thicker needle to handle the canvas, and some heavy-duty thread just to be extra secure and you'll be repairing it in no time.

You can find an amazing selection of notions like zippers and needles at Wawak. Zippers are sized by how big the teeth are, so measure what you have and see if you can match it.

thanks, this is a good video that i'll bookmark but after looking at my bag i don't think i can do this without undoing other parts of the bag. for example the main zipper has a small pocket that is sewn in with the tape of the main zipper so my guess is if i cut all the stitching to patch in a new zipper the pocket will also fall out. there's also a pocket on the back of the bag where if i cut its stitching the flap on the bag may fall off. since all the stitching is still pretty strong and intact, i'd rather not mess with it. i think i'll go with the easier route of replacing the zipper bodies.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

hello. still beginner here.. i'm looking to hand darn some socks that have holes in them. i want to start out with the basics and just see how i like it.

can i just buy any random darning kit or are there specifics ones i should avoid. seems like most of them are kinda just imported from aliexpress... which is fine. but just wanted to see if i should avoid those if they're "bad"

also my practice project is to darn some uniqlo socks that have about 1-1.5cm holes.. is there a specific yarn i should look for for those kinda socks?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

thanks for the tips! i do have some lightbulbs because i haven't had the chance to get that disposed of properly so maybe i'll try that

i do also need info about needles which is why i asked if i should just buy some random darning kit on amazon to get them.