Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Does anyone know a relatively invisible way to reinforce embroidery to make it more durable? I put a cross stitch pattern on a white apron, but I'm worried that all the little thread ends will get yanked out in a week. Should I just coat the back stitches with fray glue, or maybe iron on interfacing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

discordiaskitten posted:

I usually put interfacing on my daughter's clothes and as she's three they get a fair bit of wear. It holds up quite well but again, it's one to check on frequently as the edges can start curling up after a while. Thb I've had shop-bought embroidered clothes lose their interfacing far faster so I don't think it's what I'm using that's the problem, just that interfacing gets battered after a while.
Thanks :) Ended up taking both pieces of advice - so I used a bunch of anti-fray glue and put on a light piece of interfacing. It seems to be pretty solid.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

I have something to add to the embroidery questions from the last page - what does everyone here use for transfers (if anything?) I tried that tracing paper, but it rubbed off if you looked at it funny. Rinse-out marker was OK, but bled for fine lines.

Edit: And thanks for that clipart page - it has some really great images.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 15, 2009

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

I have a question for the handful of fashion students in this thread - are there any resources, courses, websites, books, whatever available for shoe-making? I've been doing research off and on and it seems to be the first craft in the history of the internet without good comprehensive information. There's a bit on the general idea (covering your last, drawing the pattern, cutting/sewing the upper) but it all sort of breaks down at the actual complex parts, namely things like attaching soles or creating heeled shoes. Originally I thought it would be a really fun craft to learn (and practical), but now I'm researching it more out of stubbornness. I know people have to learn this stuff somewhere - who else designs prototype and sample shoes? - and I'm at a total loss, unless the only way is to attend one of those $1,000 workshops run by people with horrendous websites. No luck looking at the local art college, either.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 7, 2009

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

I'm working on sewing a pair of men's gloves (using information mostly from http://www.vintagesewing.info/1950s/50-hmg/hmg-toc.html), but I'm not sure what do pick for fabric once I have a working pattern. I imagine the best option would be leather, but while I can sew decently, I've heard leather is a nightmare and should be avoided unless you're more of an expert. What other nice fabrics could I use for a project like this - maybe something weather proof? :confused: Or should I suck it up and buy some leather?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

4R7 THi3F posted:

leather isn't that hard to sew, you just need to make sure you have a leather needle in your machine and a teflon foot
I'm working by hand since it's going to be so small and fiddly; will I need to pick up a special needle for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

DawntoDust posted:

There's actually "glover's needles" which are handy cause they have long thread loops so you can use sinew or waxed leather-working thread for making the gloves look old and hand-made in a good way. Tandy's Leather Company (if there's one nearby you) sells little packs with like 5 different hand-sewing needles, plus like everything else for leather-working you can imagine.

If you're just going to do regular nylon/whatever thread by hand, all you need is the sharpest needle you've got, and a willingness to sacrifice it to the leather.

Good luck.
Thank you for the good suggestion - I'll try and hunt down a Danby's... If this weird custom glove pattern system works, I'll post it. :)