Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I know. I'm scouting for old iron myself, since everything I do is just straight stitches and the very occasional zig-zag, and I want something I can use for the next couple decades without having to replace it. Heavy enough that I can feed a quilt through without risking pulling it off the table is a definite plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

In theory, you could cut the back of the lapel shorter than the front to pull it back. Usually with some interfacing on the front portion to make it arc rather than just folding under.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Vulvarine posted:

Draw-string pajama pants are a typical beginner project; all straight lines, you can pick a fun personalized fabric, and it's pretty hard to gently caress up the fit. There are a billion online tutorials.

Won't lie, I learned how to sew clothing making wrap pants and tunics back when I picked up the occasional weekends' wages at Renfaires.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

what type of material would you use for padding on shoulder straps, like a backpack?

Closed cell foam. You can get it in sheets, and it doesn't get beaten down the way batting does.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tias posted:

Thanks a lot! I've been looking over this link for some ideas to create a basic low-status 'viking' garment, to practice for more complicated stuff since I haven't sewed anything since forever :ohdear:

In time I'd like to get a viking market stall booth because I do a lot of reconstructionist poo poo (herbal tinctures, shamanic augury and healing performances etc.), but for now I'm in the babbys first pattern area. I'll try to ask them!

Check out Hurstwic if you haven't for some good pictures of recreated garments. I've worn Rus-style garb a few times, and it's pretty awesome for comfort if you use medium weight linens.

For further reading:

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/clothing.shtml

https://www.vikingsof.me/downloads/clothing-guide/male.html

https://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikgarment.html

And finally if you just feel like shopping, check out linengarb.com. Their Rus pants are the bees' knees.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Danish stuff is cool too, I just liked the Rus pants because I could wear low-profile armor -under- them and get acceptable protection without it looking out of place. :)

Plus, you know, giant pants are super comfy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rythe posted:

How hard would it be to sew a round circle/ball shape?

My 6 year old daughter wants to be Violet for Halloween and one idea I was thinking was fabricating a cloth ball with internal support to hold the shape.

Not sure how feasible this is though.

Violet as in Willy Wonka turned-into-a-bluebery Violet?

Probably go with something like a giant ball made of panels like a basketball's, with a hula hoop or similar at the midpoint as a kind of boning to keep it round if that's important to her.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It kinda looks like a weight belt, but velcro is a pretty terrible idea for weight belts.

(It's also not the greatest idea if it's BDSM equipment.)

Looks like a dip belt maybe. If it's for light weights, velcro might be fine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm sure you could get a specific zentai to match it on amazon, but the movie version is a losely fitted homemade looking thing. Maybe go for one of the Simplicty adult-sized jumpsuit patterns?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is at least in a reusable but ultimately disposable temporary dust door so "good enough" is definitely good enough for this application. The problem is that even a slight snag can pull the sheeting off the wall, and a complete stop renders the whole thing useless.

It's always on the curves.

Maybe rub a little wax (like a crayon) on it to lubricate the zipper and make it snag less?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Also, nothing wrong with doing something dirt simple to get started. Picking up a bunch of fat quarters of quilters' cotton for cheap and doing a square patchwork top to get some idea of how to keep things square and even across a full blanket is really helpful. My first one was decidedly neither until I learned to sew a steady seam. Still kicking around my front room as a day blanket 25+ years later, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Very nice! Seconding effika, nice color choices. :)