Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn of Arby's
May 29, 2004
what? no catfood?

I'm finally in a spot where I can both purchase a sewing machine and have the space for a GIANT table, but I'm in the paralysis of analysis of what to get. I grew up using an old school Singer and most recently sold my Bernina Nova. However, I want to sew everything. Clothing, quilting, and bags made of thicker material. The Bernina struggled with several layers of canvas, but it may have just been my model. Am I asking too much by looking for something that will sew knits, canvas, and have droppable feed dogs/a walking foot for quilting? Is it possible without spending some ridiculous amount of money? Older machines are fine by me. Any advice would be so appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn of Arby's
May 29, 2004
what? no catfood?

effika posted:

If you don't mind getting an industrial machine, even one of the more home-use ones like a Sailright (sold to work on Sailright canvas) will handle lots of thick stuff no problem.

I know some quilters like a separate machine too because they are all about that Perfect Straight Stitch and free-motion with a bigger harp.

I find any machine that has adjustable tension a d presser foot pressure plus the ability to use a walking foot will do good for knits and fine for quilts.

So... What's your priority? And how much of your budget do you want to go where? You could spend it all on a nice Bernina quilter, stalk eBay for a vintage Viking for an all-purpose machine and save up for a special canvas machine, etc.

I haven't done much in the way of quilting, so my priority I suppose would be in the all-purpose with the ability to do some heavy duty. I haven't heard of Sailright - I'll check them out. Would it be too heavy to manage knits as well? I'd like to avoid 3 machines, I can maybe justify 2.

Horn of Arby's
May 29, 2004
what? no catfood?

effika posted:

Definitely search around for what others are using to sew canvas etc. Some of them may be able to get the right accessories for a better time with some weights of knit.

Knits really benefit from a walking foot/dual feed system and changing the presser foot pressure and sometimes some tension adjustment. Other than that they're not much different than wovens, which I also think benefit from all the same stuff knits do. So look for a machine/accessories pack does them and you'll be pretty set!

You may also want to look at anything used that your dealers get in.

Sorry I can't be more help on specific brands and models.

Nope that's all very helpful. Thank you!