Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

Has anyone in here got experience with automatic machine embroidery?

So, tl;dr: can anyone recommend a machine and software package for, say, $2000 or less that is reliable enough for academic work and which would let us make arbitrary custom stitch designs (a learning curve is fine) in a 5"x5" or larger area?

I think you're looking for something like Sew Art (~$70)? I use it to embroider-ize logos and names from SVGs and other image formats. I do this "for fun" for my rec sports teams.

Draw up custom names/logos in an image editor (I use Illustrator), save as TIF/JPG/SVG/BMP most major file formats, open in SewArt, make a few adjustments (they have a wizard for it), save as PES file (Brother embroidery format) on USB drive, plug in USB drive to Brother SE-600, hoop the material, and embroider.

There's probably a more professional way to do this, but for my own personal use, it's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU