Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

First time I've pulled out the sewing machine in a while, did a practical thing that isn't pretty to get back into things.

It's so we don't get bird poo poo on all our shirts. No pattern but I did a rough(er) draft in easel board sized graph paper. I didn't really do anything for the collar. My tension was not set correctly for this and I generally had a rough go, but hey, Pinto approves.

Bonus seamripper action:

Excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How do I fix a busted zip? I can't see exactly what the problem is but it's jamming in the same place. It's not catching on the material (which in this case is plastic sheeting).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is at least in a reusable but ultimately disposable temporary dust door so "good enough" is definitely good enough for this application. The problem is that even a slight snag can pull the sheeting off the wall, and a complete stop renders the whole thing useless.

It's always on the curves.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DIY secret santa maybe?

Edit: also welcome, fluffie

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Is there a quick and dirty way to repair the elbows on a cotton hoodie? I could probably sew them shut but I'm not very good at it and only have a little repair kit available.

Both elbows wore through and then tore right across the back of the elbow, like the knees of ripped jeans.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Here's the tear. Same on the other arm.

Those iron-on patches were my first thought, but they seem so expensive for what they are.

Does anyone know what glue they use? Or if not, what might be a suitable adhesive for fabric? I have plenty of scrap fabric and plenty of different adhesives, just not really geared / skilled up for sewing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The thing with this one is, I just need it to wear when I'm working indoors if it's a bit cold, so being long-sleeved is the important bit. The hoodie itself doesn't have much value to me, it was new-joiner swag at a previous client, so while I'm normally all about doing things the right way, I'm a bit limited in that while I do have a sewing machine I don't have it set up or (currently) much space to do it (plus I've never used one before), so any sewing I do will have to be by hand from a tiny repair kit.

I've repaired similar issues by hand before but it's all been quite amateurish.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I finally got around to doing the repair and can't find my lil sewing kit. I've done some hearty googling but can't tell if there's any difference between them other than "make number of things in kit go up".

Do you folks have any go-to kits or should I just buy whatever cheapo kit is available? I'm guessing the thread in them is skimped on in quality or quantity but I'm too noob to tell either way.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

armorer posted:

If you're doing this repair by hand, I would recommend getting a spool of thread that's the color and weight you want, and a small set of sewing needles in somewhat varied sizes. I have used a few sewing kits over the years and I've only ever really used the needles from them anyway so I kinda never understood the point (other than maybe some ultra-small portable one as an emergency kit).

I don't have things like pins and destitcher tools and such, but yeah I don't usually trust these kinds of kits to not be mostly filler, whatever the hobby.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

armorer posted:

Having a seam ripper is nice too, yeah. Shouldn't be necessary for this though.

Thanks. I've ordered a selection pack of gutermann threads, some basic pins & needles, thimble, and a cheap seam ripper, if only because I know I'll have to unpick something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It can be worthwhile buying good quality thread -- Gütermann is the gold standard. The polyester "sew-all" stuff would be best.

That's exactly what I got. It was around £2 per 100m reel.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 21, 2022