Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

handbags at dawn posted:

edit to add: my daughter made a chicken pincushion today

What did she stuff it with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

Ashcans posted:

I need to express how much I hate setting sleeves. All the sleeves I've done before were either part of the body, or were fine gathered. I have been battling these stupid suit sleeves all weekend, and I've tried every technique I can find online. One thread easing, two thread easing, pin easing, hand-basting, I just seem to end up with a gather or a tuck or something somewhere no matter what I do.

Perhaps something went wrong during the cutting and your sleeves are simply a little too big around for your sleeve-holes?

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

Cross_ posted:

At first tried a regular needle and then switched to a size 11 ballpoint- I did not notice any difference whatsoever. Wax paper was one of the things I tried as well as other tear-away stabilizer; they all did the job of preventing the fabric from getting stuck but then removing the paper/stabilizer from the finished seams was painful. One of my books mentions wash-away stabilizer that's not fiber-based but somehow dissolves when it comes in contact with water. Unfortunately I have not seen anything like it in local stores.

Have you tried Solvy? http://www.sulky.com/stabilizers/solvy.php

I don't remember it having any kind of fibers in it, but I haven't used it in a while.

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

4R7 THi3F posted:

Have you ever used a professional embroiderer before? I'm trying to figure out if I just need to bring a yard of fabric to them and let them embroider that entire yard or if I should cut out the pattern and mark the places that need to be embroidered.

Maybe it works both ways, I dunno. I just need to figure out a way to do it so that I'll be happiest with the results.

I used to work in an embroidery shop and operate the big machines. We mostly did cheesy sorority tote bags and baby blankets, but the machines were capable of doing really cool stuff. They had thousands of built-in patterns that you could mix and match and build into larger designs, and there was software to create your own patterns from scratch too (although I never did that).

Anyway, I would recommend that you don't cut it first. Bring in the uncut fabric, with lines for where you're going to cut it and locations where you want the stars marked (like with an X of chalk or something). It's much easier to work with a large piece of cloth because they're going to have to hoop it. You should be able to pick from several different styles of star shape and dozens of thread colors to find exactly what you want. At the shop I worked at, the base price would have been $6 per star, but for a bunch of stars you'd get some kind of bulk discount at the discretion of whoever was working.

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

Alamadu posted:

I guess I am plugging this site but it isn't my site. It is just a cool local business that I want to help support and I think you guys could make good use of it.

http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

A friend of mine bought this tetris fabric from there: http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/111325

The quality is really good, and I'm definitely planning to order something in the future.

Artemisia posted:

There may be other/better sources, but https://www.spandexhouse.com has a fairly wide selection, and I had a good experience ordering from them. I ordered most of the materials for my belly dance costume a few posts back from them (stretch sequin fabric, stretch velvet, stretch glitter mesh). I had never really sewn with stretchy fabrics before, but I was amazed at how easy it was.

Oh hey, I forgot spandex house existed. I could spend all day looking at their stock. Now I'm seriously considering making a swimsuit, because the only thing holding me back had been the lame selection of fabric available locally.

kanteyluip fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 25, 2010

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

Eponine posted:

How did you do the bottom? My mom and I have been experimenting with grocery bags lately trying to make them lie flatter but hold more and I think squaring the bottom has worked the best. I LOVE the lining. I love the whole bag, really.

I like to give my cloth grocery bags mitered bottom corners like on this page: http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/totebag/tote_bag_pattern_pg3.html

It's the quickest way to give a bag a squared off bottom so that it holds more stuff.

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

Cross_ posted:

Wal-Mart
awesome fabric

Does not compute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

ladyofshallnot posted:

I have a very serious question for all of you.

A friend of mine has recently gotten very seriously into costuming and sewing. Right now she is doing what she can with what she can afford and a borrowed portable sewing machine, but her birthday is coming up and the aim is to spoil her god awful rotten.

SO.

If you could have any sewing machine within the 100 - 140 dollar range, what would it be?

Additionally, if you had a 100 dollar gift certificate to any online fabric store, what would you choose?

I live in a different country, so everything has to be available to order online. I don't sew, so I'm pretty much clueless.

If it were me, I'd skip or decrease the gift cert in favor of spending a little more on a good machine. In that price range, your best bet will probably be a sturdy vintage machine from ebay. I've always enjoyed sewing on my mom's 70s Kenmore, so here are some I would consider if I was replacing my machine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heavy-Duty-KENMORE-ZIG-ZAG-Sewing-Machine-1-2-amps-/380350601473
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sears-1341-Industrial-Strength-Free-Arm-Sewing-Machine-/250849696361

Look for something heavy and primarily metal rather than plastic, and don't worry at all about how many kinds of stitches it does. Most people can do 90% of their sewing with just a straight or zig-zag stitch, so having 30 kinds of stitches is just overkill. (A buttonhole setting would be a nice bonus, but it's not a dealbreaker to me.)

kanteyluip fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 10, 2011