Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

teknicolor posted:

Anyone have tips for sewing spandex? Halloween time means superhero costumes :3

Since nobody's answered this, I'll toss my two cents worth in. It's been awhile since I've worked with spandex so I don't remember much except:

Use a medium-narrow zigzag stitch for all seams to allow for stretching, and don't fold the seam edges back from each other on the inside like most other clothes, instead fold both edges one way then top-stitch it down to prevent skin peek-through; reinforce any bendy parts, like elbows and knees (unless it's a one-use costume and/or you don't care if it sags a little by the end of the night); and I think I had to use a fairly small gauge needle and smooth non-cotton thread to avoid snags.

Hope that helps.

I'm going through some old photos so if I find a pic of my jester costume I'll post it (don't hold your breath though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

teknicolor posted:

Should I be using a ball-point needle?

I think that might depend on the actual fabric content you choose. If you haven't already bought the fabric, ask at the place where you do buy it which needle is best. Of you could google it. I don't think I ever used one, but I've only sewn a few stretchy garments, so my expertise is limited.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Unoriginal posted:

I made my niece's Halloween costume this year and while it's nothing like some of the stuff in this thread, I'm still pretty proud. It's only my second garment, the first being her costume from last year.

I used a pattern for the top, but had to modify the fit, shape, and construction method (with some help from madlilnerd's futuristic tampon). I also used a pattern for the bag with no modifications. The skirt was all me, though. I would have made it a touch longer, but her mom really wanted it to fall above her feet so she didn't trip, which she still managed to do 4 times that night. It's not a marvel of tailoring or anything, but I was still proud of myself, it fit, and the kid loved it. It's going to be a while before I decide to sew sequins on anything else, though. So much hand stitching...

You did a great job and your niece is adorable. Now I miss my own 2 nieces who I haven't seen in two years (they live far away).

Seriously though, for only your second garment, you did a really good job. My second garment literally fell apart the first time I wore it (on stage of all places).

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Valdara posted:

My soon-to-be-mother-in-law knows that I sew and gave me an old piece of fabric that she had for me to make something awesome out of it. It is a beautiful, 8'x10' piece of linen with a circle motif centered on it. The problem is that I don't want to cut it up senselessly or waste any of the beautiful pattern. It's not repeating, just one big panel. The only things I can think of are table cloth or wall-hanging, and neither are particularly appealing.

Here is a picture of it draped over my crafting table. Any thoughts on what I could possibly make from it?

Edit: The more I look at it, the more I'm thinking skirt. Cut out the middle bit big enough for an elastic waist and make a pillow or applique it on something, cut out the length to reach the ground, and have a gorgeous skirt. I always, always fight the hoarding tendency of "saving it for something awesome" and rarely actually get things made. I'm also tempted to wait and make this skirt to wear at my wedding. I don't plan on wearing a traditional wedding dress, and this would be much more meaningful than just about anything else ever.

That really is a gorgeous piece of fabric, it looks Russian or something. My first thought was "duvet cover" but it would also make a great skirt. I like your idea of using the center part that you would have to cut out to make a pillow or applique.

My only advice is to not make a literal circle skirt without checking out how voluminous it would be - you might have to actually cut into the fabric (maintaing the circular design of course) to make tapered panels to fit your frame, rather than have a huge billowy circle skirt. Unless that's what you're after, of course.

Another advantage of cutting it a bit and tailoring it is: hey! more scrap pieces to play around with (maybe make pockets for the skirt, or make placemats etc).

Whatever you end up doing with it, you must post pictures. I'm totally jealous of your great future mother-in-law and I hope she has more awesome stuff hidden in her lair.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

mrs pooglyfoop posted:

yeah, it's down in the machine with the bobbin. for the life of me i can't understand how it all fits together. i had a top loading one and it was no problem! i'll upload more pictures of what is on the inside in a bit.

If the bobbin case is in the machine in your pic, you may be loading it in backwards. You shouldn't be able to see the actual bobbin when it's loaded correctly, just the outside of the bobbin case.

It's not the bobbin that has the tab, it's the bobbin case, fwiw.

: ^^^ that diagram above it pretty explicit, hope it helps!

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 22, 2012