Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh god its Halloween and my six year old wants to be a shaolin monk. I got the generic McCall's 6184 karate gi pattern but I'd like to add a gusset to the pants for better kicking and alter the shirt so its more accurate (the shaolin shirts look longer to me and are a kind of wrap shirt with and inside and outside tie, see here and here, where you can sorta see the outside tie hanging down). It seems like they're as asymmetrical as well, with the overwrap part coming to more of a point at the point its tied.

Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Better yet, see if they offer sewing classes or 'learning how to use your sewing machine' classes and sign up. At Joann's at least they run around 45 bucks, so they're not bank-breakers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I keep haunting craig's list for a babylock imagine or similar serger for sub-1000 and I keep whiffing :(

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh my god gently caress armholes forever. This is the first time I've made anything with sleeves loving argh. Anyone got any tips or tricks on how to do this without making my kid look like the loving hunchback of notre dame or me killing myself in frustration I'm all ears. Doesn't help this ancient loving sewing machine keeps unthreading the needle...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah that's the thing I'm doing all that except the clipping curves part because I'm terrified of cutting the wrong way and loving everything up, also the stupid instructions only show curves clipped after sewing. gently caress you simplicity.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah its totally screwed up, but I can't say as I blame the pattern so much as my lovely cutting ability (oh hi, left-handed sewer). Not that you can really tell at a glance, but it is the most hosed up jury-rigged slapped together piece of crap. But its done and he loves it, so.

I think I am going to sign up for the jacket class at Joann's. Sure its an ugly jacket but at least I'll know how to attach a drat sleeve.

Also blind hemming can KISS MY rear end.

You know those tags that say 'made with love for'? I need to print out some custom ones that say 'made with hate' or 'fueled by frustration.'

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Alternately, if you could find a big enough Irish flag (or two)....

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Chicken wire? That's what's used in that picture but I don't know that I'd make a dressmakers dummy out of if; it'd snag fabric horribly seems to me.

If she's looking to make her own dress form she should try making a duct tape dummy

Oracle fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 5, 2013

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Looks like you got quite the prize, hold onto it. You'll want to get it serviced so it can be cleaned out if its been sitting around that long. You can find a manual for it here:
http://sewingonline.co.uk/library/FRISTER-ROSSMANN-45-MARKII.html
Its 4.95 (british pounds). Possibly you can find it online, the actual maker name is Frister & Rossmann if you want to google about for it. Here is a site that claims to sell compatible plugs for the brand among other parts, I'd also check ebay.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just saw one selling for 90 pounds on some ebay site and its lauded as an all-iron workhorse, so yeah I'd say its a goodun.

Call and ask, is my best guess, or find a similar machine on ebay and take a gander at/ask the seller to take a picture of the plug.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Seriously. That's heirloom material right there.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh try to get used to the knee press if you can, its SO much nicer than a foot pedal once you've got it down.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Looks like satin to me. Maybe a more expensive satin than the bargain basement stuff they're using for halloween costumes.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Any hints for a someone who's never dealt with a pattern before?

The pattern is not gospel, patterns have been and will continue to be wrong, if you read it three times and it still doesn't make sense, check with a more experienced sewer before concluding you're just dumb and it will all make sense once you get to that point. Things like missing or incorrect measurements for notions in the materials list and having you cut on the wrong side of the fabric (wrong as in incorrect not as in the side without the pattern) aren't unusual, reversals of pattern placement etc.

Also, if they show you a specific layout for your width of fabric, they do so for a reason, don't get cute and try to save fabric by laying it out any which way to maximize space saving, it will end in tears.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Do you have a zipper foot? They are magical.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nice job on the hem! Very straight. Looks great.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

First one is a cording foot? Gonna guess the middle one is a zigzag foot. The third I want to say its a button sewing foot but I'm not sure, could be some kind of embroidery foot. Surefire way to find out is to take it to a sewing machine repair shop (or send that pic to one if they're online, tho I find they tend to be kind of luddites).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anybody ever seen a changshan pattern anywhere? (No, not cheongsam, that's the female version, and yes there are tons of those, all very fitted with darts and all that would be hard to convert). Folkwear has the cheongsam but not the male equivalent.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I'm going to need to redraft it anyway since it's for a kids Halloween costume. I also need the Mandarin collar and wrap style top.
This is the closest I've been able to find online.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Funhilde posted:

I would probably use that one. Maybe ask the blogger if they have a sleeve pattern drafted.

I know noone else probably cares but me but OH HELL YEAH. Sometimes I love cosplayers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

^^^ Amazing! Nice job.

I'm in the market for a new sewing machine. I'm just experienced enough to be dangerous. Want to start doing more clothes, I do costumes every year, want a machine that could potentially handle denim/leather/upholstery fabric, want auto-threading, adjustable presser foot pressure, needle threader, free arm, one step buttonholing (that actually works!), adjustable speed (my nine year old's learning to sew), auto backstitch and threadcutting would be nice, I hate the Singer 'hold the threads when you start a seam or face to darkness' thing, don't really care about embroidery or quilting (God gently caress quilting) though being able to say, embroider my dog's name and our ph number into his collar would be cool.

Basically something like the Brother 900D without the Disney crap would be cool. I really like the pfaff top and bottom feed dogs and seam guides on all sides because I'm left-handed and like to do things bass-ackwards sometimes. The Pfaff Creative 1.5 looks spiffy but lol 2000 dollar price tag.

I learned to sew on old-rear end Singers and still sew on old-rear end Singers and I am tired of old-rear end manual everything Singers. I know I'd sew a lot more if half my time wasn't spent fighting the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Deal of the day on Amazon is Singer 7256 for 99.99 (normally 259.99)