Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Lixer posted:

I just learned how to knit over thanksgiving break since I've always wanted to learn and my grandma was in town. Right now I'm working on my first scarf but it seems to be coming out a bit odd shaped. As I go along it gets wider and wider and I'm not sure why. It has the same number of stitches (can stitches even be added on?) Maybe I'm knitting it looser and looser?

For now, I think it has stopped widening but I'm not sure. I don't know what to do about a scarf with a skinny end either. Does anyone know why it's doing this and how to stop/fix it?

It kinda looks like this

I'm working on teaching a friend of mine to knit (not that I'm terribly good, I've only been knitting for a few months and I'm still deathly afraid of knitting in the round) and she had the same problem, but it's not that she was knitting looser with each stitch, but that she was either picking up an extra stitch at the beginning (not hard to do if your yarn isn't hanging right when you switch needles) or she was splitting the loops to make extra stitches or knitting god knows what to pick up extras. In any case, if you count your stitches after every row for a while and make sure you're not doubling anything up, it might help. I did that the first time I knitted a swatch and I had no problems at all once I got my tension relatively even.

In any case, I'm super glad this thread is around. I've come into possession of my boyfriend's mom's old sewing machine, and while I have yet to take a look at it (I have a double stitched merino wool scarf to knit for my boyfriend first, and a hat knit flat with 2x2 ribbing for a friend and a hat knit on straight needles with short row shaping for another friend and a scarf for myself and shortcut fingerless mits and oh goodness, it's never going to end), I do really want to get into sewing and now I have a place to look for ideas and whatnot! Hooray!

Also, entrelac knitting is awesome and looks loving fantastic. I just need to knit myself a sweet headband or some other such thing with it, since the first thing I knitted with it was a Christmas present. Oh, and a quick question, does anybody know a good website that will generate knitters' grid for a given gauge? I want to make a custom pattern for my scarf and the one for my boyfriend. Argyle is fabulous, but I want to actually design something to make it super special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU