Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I was hoping somebody here may have some suggestions for me... I need to find a very specific patterned fabric and am having a hard time finding anything. I've looked online, and a few local shops, but have had no luck.

What do you ladies (or gentlemen, I suppose) do in this case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

stars posted:

Hem it with a piece of tissue paper between the layers, then pull the tissue out when you're done- it keeps it from pulling out of place. I also starch mine to high heaven and then wash it out afterwards. I personally think georgette is easier to sew.

ETA beaten

How soft and sheer is georgette compared to chiffon? And where can I find either?

I too am in the planning stages of doing a chiffon dress and am having a hard time finding the color, sheerness, and softness I want.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

stars posted:

Georgette is heavier and slightly more opaque. You'd only want one layer whereas you can add multiple layers of chiffon in one dress. It's not as soft as chiffon, and has that sort of translucent look like silk organza. You can find it at fashion fabrics club, denver fabrics, specialty fabric stores...I have never actually found it at Joann's or Hobby Lobby.

Thanks a lot!

I ended up finding something that will work at a local shop I found while lost. I'm not sure what it is technically, but it looks good so far. :)

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Morpheus posted:

2) I'm wondering how I can create the holes in the lighter shirt to add those rings in there. The rings I have now can just be clipped in once I've made the hole, but I'm not sure how to do it. Will making a circular hole, then reinforcing it similar to a button hole do the trick?

I'd use grommets. How heavy are the rings you have? You might want to reinforce the fabric where the grommets are with a backing of some kind.

Also, this thread is great for more cosplay-specific help.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I need a little help with a top I'm making. I've altered a pattern slightly to allow me to make the top reversible, but I think I've messed up the shoulder part of the sleeves. They seem too long, like the oval shape the sleeve hole is got squashed on the sleeves, so the two don't match when I pin them together. The very top of the sleeve has excess fabric, where as the armpit needs more. I assume I need to alter the shape of the curve on the top of the sleeve pattern, but I don't really know how to do that, or what to look for (lack of terminology). Any advice? I used this tutorial, if it matters any.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
You can easily fix it yourself if you have a good strong needle and thick thread (or thin string). Depending on how many layers you need to go through, you may want to use a proper leather needle and/or pliers (to pull/push the needle). This is assuming it's real leather. If it's fake, it shouldn't be that tough to get the needle through.

Ideally you'd use a waxed thread or string, but if you use an ordinary but durable thread and go over the area a few times it should hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

PirateDentist posted:

Is there a specific better way to learn how to stitch on a curve ... ?

Go really slowly. Stop the needle while it's in the piece, lift the foot and turn/rotate the piece, lower the foot again, then sew a few more stitches. It's not super pretty if the seam will be visible, but for what you need, it'll probably work. Curves are tricky to figure out, and this helps me for tight curves.